The dispute between the central government and the Taipei City Government over the former's UN bid torch relay, set for today, was resolved at the last minute when the city government approved a permit application for the event.
The application was filed on Monday by the Chinese Taipei Road Running Association (CTRRA) on behalf of the Sport Affairs Council (SAC).
For several days, the city government and the SAC had engaged in a dispute over whether the torch relay -- intended to promote the country's bid to join the UN -- is a political activity or a sports event.
The SAC, which considers the torch relay a sports event, notified the city government of its plans but did not apply for a permit.
However, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) insisted that the relay event is a political activity, for which a permit is required. He said that holding the activity without a permit would be unlawful.
During a question-and-answer session on the legislative floor yesterday, Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) said the Cabinet had approached the dispute with three principles in mind: that it should try its best to resolve conflict between government agencies; that the event should be held in an orderly manner; and that political conflict should be avoided.
Chang denied that the central government had changed its mind on the nature of the event.
SAC Deputy Chairman Lee Kao-hsiang (
Cabinet Spokesman Shieh Jhy-wey (
CTRRA Deputy Secretary-General Ho Li-chiung (
Ho said a precedent had been set, as a permit had never before been required for a marathon event.
Meanwhile, the Taipei City Government will send more than 700 police officers to maintain order and to control traffic at the torch relay and the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) cycling event, which also takes place today.
Taipei City Police Department Commissioner Wang Cho-chiun (
Wang estimated that more than 700 people will participate in the torch relay, which begins in front of the Presidential Office this morning.
He urged drivers and pedestrians who will pass the relay route to follow police instructions.
Hau said the city government would assist with traffic control because legal procedures had been followed.
"The city government doesn't like events being held during the week, as this will cause inconvenience for residents. But we will maintain order to ensure that the events run smoothly," Hau said.
The mayor added that the city government would draw up regulations to control events that are held during the week.
"We respect the public's right to parade and assembly, but we need to make sure that these events do not cause any inconvenience for the majority," he said.
With the dispute seemingly at an end, the DPP yesterday called on the public to participate in the torch relay.
DPP Secretary-General Cho Jung-tai (
Organizers have arranged a group of 17 athletes to complete the 1,200km torch relay across the country's 25 cities and counties in 11 days.
Cho said Chen would pass the torch to DPP presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (
Chen told reporters in Kaohsiung that he hoped both the central and local government had learned a lesson as a result of the dispute. He said the torch relay should not be contentious because the ruling and opposition parties were agreed that UN membership was an important goal.
Cho called on the public, regardless of political affiliation, ethnicity or religion, to participate in the event to show their support for the government's UN bid.
Cho said he hoped as many DPP party members as possible would take part.
DPP Legislator Hsieh Hsin-ni (謝欣霓), whoalso serves as director of the party's Culture and Information Department and is an avid jogger, called on the KMT to participate.
She said her understanding was that members of the KMT's Youth League had wanted to join the relay but had been instructed not to do so.
During an interview with a radio station in Kaohsiung yesterday, Chen said he would be neglecting his duty as president if he failed to push for UN membership under the name "Taiwan."
Chen said that "returning" to the UN under the name of the "Republic of China," as the KMT has suggested, would be a "major change of the status quo."
The president said the importance of the DPP's referendum proposal, which is in the second stage, rivals that of next year's presidential election.
He said the election equated to a choice between Taiwan and China and expressed confidence in the result, saying he believed Taiwan-centered consciousness would beat out China sentiment.
Chen dismissed speculation that he had tried to outshine Hsieh, saying that the presidential candidate had his full backing.
In a related development, KMT Legislator John Chiang (
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan and CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats