UFO Radio chairman Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康) was the only buyer in the sale of the Broadcasting Corporation of China (BCC, 中廣公司) to four companies, three Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers said.
The DPP lawmakers held a press conference yesterday to shed light on the shareholding structure of the four companies involved in the purchase.
They presented a chart allegedly showing where the four companies had sourced their funds from. It also depicted how and when the companies paid the money used to buy the BCC shares from Hua Hsia Investment Holding Co (華夏投資公司), which manages the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) assets, the lawmakers said.
PHOTO: CNA
Relatives
"It's very clear from the chart that the people in charge of each of the four companies are affiliated with UFO Radio and are either relatives of Jaw and his wife, Liang Lei (
The KMT sold the BCC to China Times Group (中時集團) subsidiary Jungli Investment Co (榮麗投資公司) on Dec. 24 in a NT$9.3 billion (US$281.6 million) package that included China Television Co (中視) and the Central Motion Picture Corp (中央電影公司).
"The chart shows that the four companies paid NT$100 million in total to Hua Hsia, but how could they buy the BCC for that amount when its market value was estimated at NT$3 billion?" Hsieh said.
DPP Legislator Hsu Kuo-yung (
Ownership limit
The four companies, set up ahead of the transaction, were actually "front companies," and they were established by Jaw as a means to circumvent a regulation that bans individuals from owning more than 10 percent of a radio business, Hsu said.
"When the companies were registered with the Taipei City Government in August and September last year, Ma was Taipei mayor. He approved the establishment of the four companies," Hsu said.
The BCC's application to transfer its shares to the four companies and install Jaw as its chairman was approved by the National Communications Commission (NCC) on June 26, but the Executive Yuan has since expressed strong disapproval at the NCC's decision.
Cabinet spokesman Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) has said that the NCC members who took part in the review of the application would be referred to the judiciary, drawing ire from the NCC and pan-blue lawmakers.
At a press conference held by People First Party Legislator Chang Hsien-yao (
The Ministry of National Defense was one of the government agencies that had received such a request from the NCC. The ministry told the NCC that it did not hold any shares in the BCC and that there were no military personnel working at the BCC, Huang said.
Chang demanded that Huang release the documents the NCC had sent to government agencies, but Huang said that they were all classified.
Huang added that the NCC had asked the National Security Bureau (NSB) to determine whether any security concerns were involved in the share transfer, as two of the BCC channels were used to counter radio propaganda broadcast from China.
The NSB never responded to the NCC on this issue, Huang said.
lawsuit
Meanwhile, dissatisfied with the Cabinet's threats to refer NCC members to the judiciary, Tseng Yung-chuan (
"Shieh's criticism [of the NCC] amounts to an insult of the officials. We suggest that the legislature declare Shieh persona non grata," Tseng said.
Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) said yesterday that he was still considering whether to refer the NCC members to the judiciary.
Chang said that the Council of Grand Justices' ruling on the NCC clearly indicates that the composition of the organization was unconstitutional.
taskforce
In a bid to handle matters relating to the NCC, Chang said the Cabinet had set up a taskforce headed by Minister without Portfolio Hsu Chih-hsiung (許志雄).
Although he had not yet received the taskforce's recommendations, Chang said, he would handle the matter as tactfully as possible.
"We will map out a plan in accordance with the taskforce's recommendations," he said.
Additional reporting by Ko Shu-ling
Also see story:
Editorial: The NCC saga sinks into farce
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats