Taipei City Government yesterday retaliated against the central government's renaming of Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall by announcing it would rename a section of Ketagalan Boulevard directly in front of the Presidential Office the "Anti-Corruption Democracy Square" (反貪腐民主廣場).
According to the city government's new plan, the section of Ketagalan Boulevard between Gongyuan Road (公園路) and Jingfumen (景福門) will be renamed, but further details on the designs of name plates and whether the plates will cover the old ones have yet to be determined.
"This decision has been made in line with suggestions from many residents. Fighting corruption is also a key municipal policy. Besides, the boulevard was also the scene of a large anti-corruption campaign last year," Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said yesterday at Taipei City Hall.
PHOTO: CHANG CHIA-MING, TAIPEI TIMES
Arguing that the name-change plan had nothing to do with its dispute with the Ministry of Education over the name change of CKS Memorial Hall, Hau insisted that the city government came up with the plan in response to residents' suggestions.
"Fighting corruption and democracy are universal values. I believe no one would oppose such an idea ? [Renaming the boulevard] is within the city government's authority," said Hau, the son of a general under dictator Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and a member of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT).
The KMT is scheduled to give its full support to Hau's plan during its Central Standing Committee this afternoon.
In another move against the central government's name-change policy, the Taipei City Department of Cultural Affairs yesterday tore down the banners on the walls and the canvas sheet covering the name plate of CKS Memorial Hall, sparking criticism from the ministry and pan-green city councilors over its "raid."
After fining the education ministry's "Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall" Administration NT$300,000 (US$8693) for putting up the canvas and banners, the department yesterday sent 40 workers to climb the scaffolding, removing the banners and canvas within 30 minutes.
"It's not a raid. We issued the notice to the administration for the banner's removal on Saturday and also issued fines, but the government failed to take any action. It's within our authority to take them down at any time," department director Lee Yong-ping (李永萍) said yesterday at the hall after the banners were removed.
Minister of Education Tu Cheng-sheng (杜正勝) later condemned the department for its "rude" move.
Vice Minister of Education Chou Tsan-der (周燦德), who arrived at the hall to find the banners and canvas removed, condemned the department.
"We strongly protest the department's abrupt move ? but we will abide by laws and not put the canvas back unless the council decides that they are legal," Chou said.
Chou also refused the department's request to negotiate with the ministry to open the doors of the main hall.
"Control of the doors is in our hands and we won't allow the department to open them," he said.
The ministry, after a meeting later yesterday over the matter, last night pledged to put the canvas and banners back in a legal manner.
"The city government abused its power in tearing down the banners and seizing them ? We will file lawsuits against the city government for seizing public property," Chou said.
Chou said the ministry received the city government's notice at 9:30am, but the department asked the workers to tear down the banners at 10am, making it impossible for the ministry to prevent the move.
Chou also accused the department of ignoring the safety of the workers by asking them to tear down the banners without any safety equipment.
Lee yesterday argued that the banners, which are in storage at the city hall, do not belong to the ministry.
The Cabinet changed the name of the hall to "National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall" (
In a bid to prevent the CKS Hall from being altered, the city government classified the 27-year-old memorial hall and its surrounding walls as a temporary historical site and fined the ministry starting last Saturday for damaging the hall by putting up the banners.
Protesting the city government's move, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilors yesterday tried to block the council's question-and-answer session shouting "Get out, lawless mayor!"
KMT Taipei city councilors then clashed with DPP members in an effort to support Hau before the speaker called a halt to the conflict.
Creative decision
While KMT Secretary-General Wu Den-yih (
The Presidential Office said that, by passing the motion, the Taipei City Government was only trying to divert public attention from itsq unreasonable behavior. It refused to respond further.
Taiwan Solidarity Union caucus whip Tseng Tsahn-deng (曾燦燈) said the name change fiasco only showed that it was the nation's people who suffered as a result of the constant wrangling between the DPP and the KMT.
Additional reporting by Flora Wang
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats