A suicide bomber blew himself up in a town in eastern Afghanistan yesterday, killing at least 10 people in the second such attack claimed by the Taliban in two days.
The attacker struck at a busy market and bus stop in the town of Gardez, 100km south of Kabul.
"Ten of our civilian countrymen were martyred and 30 others were wounded," the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
The attacker was on foot, it said.
Most of the 30 wounded who were admitted to the main hospital in Gardez were in a bad condition. Several wounded were rushed to the capital, nearly three hours' drive away.
The attacker's target was unclear, police official Ghulam Dastgir said. Most of the suicide bombings in the country are aimed at Afghan and foreign military forces.
A witness, Sorat Khan, said that a military vehicle of the international forces in Afghanistan passed through the area minutes before the bombing.
"When it had gone, the explosion took place," Khan said.
Three German soldiers with NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) force were killed and two wounded on Saturday when a suicide attacker blew himself up in a busy bazaar in the northern town of Kunduz.
Six Afghans were killed and a dozen wounded.
It was the deadliest incident involving the German deployment to Afghanistan since 2003 when four German soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul.
"These treacherous murders fill us with horror and terror," German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai said in a statement: "The enemies of Afghanistan must understand that they will never be able to hamper the progress of Afghanistan with their acts of cowardice."
The Taliban movement claimed responsibility for both suicide bombings.
A man who was chased by ISAF soldiers in Gardez on Saturday, after running away from a bomb-filled car, had also been planning a suicide attack, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahed said.
Three ISAF soldiers were wounded in the incident when their vehicle rolled over.
The Taliban vowed last week to start a new wave of violence to avenge the killing of its top military commander Mullah Dadullah on May 11.
Military officials have also warned of an increase in suicide bombings by the insurgent group, which uses al-Qaeda-style terror tactics as part of a growing campaign against the government and international troops.
"This is the so-called fighting season -- we expected to see more suicide bombing around the country," ISAF spokesman Major John Thomas said yesterday.
The military forces trying to beat back the relentless insurgency have also intensified their operations in recent weeks.
More than 30 rebel fighters were killed in the southern province of Ghazni early yesterday in a sweep involving foreign forces, provincial police commander Alishah Ahmadzai said.
ISAF announced in a statement that "a significant number of Taliban extremist leaders were successfully targeted and killed in a precision air strike" in the south late on Saturday.
It did not give the location of the strike.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats