Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) yesterday apologized for the recent furor over the Lo Sheng Sanatorium as President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) called for an "acceptable solution" to be found.
The Lo Sheng Sanatorium was built in 1930 as a place where leprosy sufferers were quarantined for life. It is scheduled to be torn down next month to make way for construction of a Mass Rapid Transit maintenance depot.
Residents and preservationist groups have staged numerous protests over the past few weeks trying to halt the eviction of patients from the leprosarium and prevent the compound from being demolished.
"Although the Cabinet is not fully responsible for this issue, I still feel upset about it and would like to apologize to the public," Su said in the Legislative Yuan yesterday.
Su cited three reasons for his apology. First, he said, in the past most people did not understand leprosy and were afraid of it, so the government did not take good care of the patients.
Second, the government had not handled the case well, which had led to conflict and delays to the construction of the Mass Rapid Transit system.
"Third, the government had failed to do a good job in terms of preserving the nation's cultural heritage," Su said.
"These are long-term problems. But, now that I am the premier, it is my responsibility to take care of things," Su said, adding that he would instruct the relevant government agencies to negotiate with the sanatorium.
Chen, who visited the sanatorium in 2004 and apologized to residents on behalf of the government for its past mandatory quarantine policy, expressed the hope yesterday that the controversy surrounding the leprosarium's fate would be resolved soon and that a resolution acceptable to all parties would be found.
Human rights activists, preservationists and engineers in favor of the preservation of the compound have proposed a plan which would see 90 percent of the existing sanatorium preserved while Taipei's City's Department of Rapid Transportation Systems is insisting on its plan, which would demolish around 60 percent of the existing buildings.
Preservationists filed an administrative lawsuit against the department in May last year.
Although the lawsuit is still ongoing, the Taipei County Government posted a notice last week instructing the remaining residents to move out by April 16.
In response, lawyers supporting the leprosarium filed an application yesterday with the Taipei High Administrative Court seeking a provisional disposition.
A provisional disposition would provide a legal basis for Lo Sheng's preservation until the administrative lawsuit or a legislative procedure comes to a conclusion.
"How can they demolish Lo Sheng if the administrative lawsuit is still ongoing and the legislation is still under negotiation?" said Cheng Wen-lung (
The Hansen's Disease compensation act (
"During party negotiations yesterday [Thursday], the clauses concerning compensation, on-site care and preservation [of Lo Sheng Sanatorium] were passed," Cheng said. "The draft legislation is ready for its second reading, so how can the [Taipei] County Government demolish the buildings now?"
The second reading is the key stage in the legislative process, as only minor changes would be made after the second reading before the draft legislation becomes law.
Meanwhile, members of the Youth Alliance for Lo Sheng staged a demonstration in front of Taipei County Hall yesterday morning.
"We wanted to remind [Taipei] County Commissioner Chou Hsi-wei (
In response, Deputy County Commissioner Chen Wen-jen (陳威仁) said that the county would not insist on its current plan and would cooperate if the Executive Yuan came up with a new plan.
Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang and CNA
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats