A massive financial scandal continued lumbering forward yesterday, as lawmakers alleged that one of the companies involved had not submitted financial reports for years, while the government apparently turned a blind eye.
Legislators yesterday demanded that the Cabinet dismiss seven government officials who were board members for Asia Pacific Broadband Telecom Co (亞太固網), a company related to the scandal-plagued Rebar Asia Pacific Group (力霸亞太企業集團).
Asia Pacific Broadband Telecom was raided yesterday in an effort to determine the fate of more than NT$60 billion (US$1.83 billion) the company raised in bonds.
PHOTO: FANG PIN-CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Lawmakers and political parties invested heavily in the firm, as did a number of state-run companies.
Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) Legislator Tseng Tsahn-deng (曾燦燈) told a press conference that over the past six years, the broadband company had not presented financial reports to its board members.
Despite this, he said, seven government officials who represented three government-related investors on the company's board had done nothing.
The caucus said figures from the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) showed that the Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA) had invested NT$8 billion (US$243 million) in the company in 2000.
The Chiao Tung Bank (交通銀行) -- which became Mega International Commercial Bank (兆豐國際商銀) after merging with International Commercial Bank of China (中國國際商銀) -- invested NT$2.1 billion, while state-controlled China Steel Corp (中鋼) invested NT$1.2 billion in the company the same year.
As the government owns a major portion of the shares of the bank and China Steel, the TSU caucus criticized officials for failing to safeguard the public's money.
Tseng also urged prosecutors to investigate whether government officials had been covering up for the company over the past six years.
"You had not seen financial reports between 2000 and last year, and you did not find out the fact that the company had problems? Have you all been asleep?" TSU Legislator David Huang (
None of them respondend.
MOEA State-owned Enterprise Commission section chief Ho Hua-hsun (
Ho added that China Steel was considering taking joint legal action with other stock holders againt the company.
TRA Deputy Director-General Hsu Yi-nan (徐亦南), who was also at the conference, denied that the TRA had made a careless investment, saying that the TRA did not decide to invest in the company as a result of any "outside pressure."
He did not, however, explain why the TRA had decided to invest in the company or why it had taken no interest in its financial performance.
Meanwhile, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) has ordered new probes into financial dealings between Rebar Group and Eastern Multimedia Group (東森多媒體), Cabinet Spokes-man Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦) said yesterday.
Su gave the directives at a Monday meeting of a special task force handling the Rebar Group scandal, Cheng said.
According to Cheng, the premier also called for probes into the personal assets and bank accounts of Eastern Group chairman Gary Wang (
The Ministry of Justice has formally requested US officials to assist with its investigation into fugitive Rebar Group chairman Wang You-theng's (
FUGITIVES
Meanwhile, the hunt for Wang You-theng and his wife Wang Chin She-ying (
The two are believed to be holding passports from the Solomon Islands and Saint Kitts and Nevis, two of Taiwan's diplomatic allies, officials said yesterday.
The couple may have used the passports to flee the country, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) Spokesman David Wang (
David Wang confirmed that Wang Chin Shyh-ying served as an honorary consul-general of the Solomon Islands and Saint Kitts and Nevis. Whether the couple obtained passports from the two countries is not yet known, he said.
"Serving as an honorary consul-general for those countries does not necessarily mean they possess passports. The ministry cannot infer such a conclusion based on this fact, but we will ask these two countries to help find out," he said.
MOFA revoked the couple's Taiwanese passports on Monday and informed Taiwan's representative offices in other countries that the government has listed the two as wanted.
Su has instructed MOFA to contact the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) for possible US assistance in the apprehension of the couple.
Although Taiwan signed a judicial aid agreement with the US in March 2002, the agreement does not cover extradition of criminal suspects or convicts.
As Taiwan and the US do not maintain formal diplomatic ties and have not signed an extradition treaty, MOFA officials said it won't be easy to repatriate the fugitives from the US.
But they added that the possibility exists, particularly if the two were involved in money laundering on US territory.
Rebar Group's financial woes came to light after two of its subsidiaries applied for insolvency protection on Dec. 29.
Judicial probes into the group's suspected financial crimes followed. Investigators have launched a number of rounds of large-scale searches at Rebar's headquarters and offices of its subsidiaries and private homes of the Wang family and corporate executives.
Early investigation results also prompted a decision by the prosecutors to impose an overseas travel ban on a total of 48 Rebar group executives and Wang family members on charges of breach of trust, forgery, fraud, insider trading, embezzlement of corporate funds and violations of the banking law and accounting regulations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats