Premier Su Tseng-chang (
The Central Deposit Insurance Corp (CDIC) was instructed by the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) to take over The Chinese Bank -- a member of the Rebar Asia Pacific Group -- on Saturday in the wake of a bank run triggered by the insolvency of two other companies.
Su said the government had stepped in to take care of the crisis to ensure that not a dollar of clients' money would be affected. He urged the public to stop withdrawing deposits from The Chinese Bank, stressing that their savings were secure and that depositors "will not lose even a dime [from The Chinese Bank.]"
An advertisement was placed on the front page of several local newspapers yesterday, endorsed by FSC Chairman Shih Jun-ji (施俊吉), Minister of Finance Ho Chih-chin (何志欽) and central bank Governor Perng Fai-nan (彭淮南).
The advertisement read: "The government has taken over The Chinese Bank. It has become a bank owned by the government. The national treasury guarantees all types of deposits, regardless of the amount."
Su also outlined principles for handling the financial crisis of the Rebar Asia Pacific Group and investigating whether there was premeditation behind insolvency claims made by the group's two units.
"We will deal with the case in accordance with three principles -- banning responsible persons from the group from leaving the country, freezing their assets and punishing their irregularities severely," Su told the press yesterday morning.
A Cabinet official later said that Su had suggested that some aspects of the insolvency claims may have broken the law.
"The reasons why [China Rebar Co (
Later yesterday, Shih, Ho and Perng along with President of the Central Deposit Insurance Corp (CDIC) Johnson Chen (
"Today the CDIC withdrew NT$11 billion from the central bank and injected it into The Chinese Bank. Another NT$20 billion [US$613.2 million] is to be allotted to The Chinese Bank tomorrow [today], which will be enough for withdrawals," Chen said.
During the press conference, Shih said that there would be no crisis triggered by Rebar Group's financial troubles because the government had "more than NT$100 billion" in funds at its disposal in case of problems.
also see stories:
Rebar chief fled to China before insolvency claims
New bank runs not likely, analysts say
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats