The nation's long-awaited high speed railway began operation yesterday, marking a milestone in the nation's transportation history amid safety concerns and spotty ticketing service.
The new rail system service started with two trains departing from the line's northern stop in Banciao (板橋), Taipei County, and its southern stop in Tsoying (左營), Kaohsiung City, at 7am sharp.
Both trains traveled at a maximum speed of 300kph and arrived at their destinations at 8:30am, cutting normal train travel time by two-and-a-half-hours.
The section between Taipei and Banciao stations is still under construction. The high-speed rail service has been delayed since the end of October last year owing to problems with its core electrical system.
Undaunted by problems with the ticketing service because of a system malfunction, most passengers were excited to board the trains and satisfied with the ride.
"Despite some small problems, the situation remained under control [and we should be able] to solve [the problems] soon," Arthur Chiang (江金山), spokesman for Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp (THSRC, 台灣高鐵), the operator of the bullet train, said yesterday.
THSRC is in charge of operating the build-operate-transfer (BOT) railway project for 35 years before it is turned over to the government's control.
The company has been making surveys of passengers after each ride and has not yet received any major complaints, Chiang said.
Some passengers complained that they found their seats were already taken and were forced to take the next train.
THSRC announced on Thursday that it had found a glitch in the booking system that led to double bookings on 831 seats.
To solve the overbooking problem, THSRC provided an additional eight trains to carry those passengers, as well as offering each passenger a free ticket.
The company's solution has drawn criticism, however, as the Ministry of Transportation and Communications approved the operation of only 19 trains running in each direction per day.
Chiang defended the company's actions, saying the trains were needed to serve the needs of the 831 passengers and that the provisional dispatch was approved by the Bureau of High Speed Rail.
As THRSC had conducted intensive test-runs before the service's launch, the operation of the additional trains should not be a cause for concern, he said.
The company estimated that more than 30,000 people would be departing or arriving at the Banciao Station on the first day of its service.
The launch of the new railway system came amid numerous complaints over the past few days about ticket sales. To pacify consumers, THSRC said on Thursday that it would extend the half-priced fares until Jan. 19.
In Taichung, however, the service's launch was marred by conflict between representatives of a consumer advocacy group and an unidentified group of 20 people.
The group of 20 surrounded volunteers representing the Consumers' Foundation in the morning, snatching and destroying the posters and threatening them.
The foundation yesterday had dispatched volunteers and employees to the high-speed rail system's stations in Banciao, Taichung and Tsoying to advise passengers not to take the new transportation means before safety concerns were eased.
The conflict in Taichung nearly led to physical clashes, with a man in the Taichung station shouting at the foundation's representative: "Chinese dogs. Go back to China."
Foundation chairman Cheng Jen-hung (程仁宏) expressed regret over the protest, saying that it was a pity to see their "soft persuasion" efforts tainted by political color.
Cheng said that in consideration of its volunteers, the foundation would halt its on-site persuasion and launch a second-stage activity by collecting consumers' endorsement on the Internet.
"After gathering the public's opinions, we'll visit the Minister of Transportation and Communications soon to express our opinion and demand that the government clarify safety guarantee regulations for passengers," he said.
Still, the presence of a French driver, Patrick Poulenas, controlling the Japanese-designed bullet train yesterday reflected the checkered history of the project, first conceived in the 1990s and based on the Eurotrain of Alstom-Siemens. But in 1998 THSRC -- reportedly on the order of then-president Lee Teng-hui (
Poulenas and his 39 compatriots, along with 13 German drivers operate the trains, but THSRC hopes local drivers will replace them within 18 months.
Additional reporting by AFP
also see story:
Editorial: Here's to a safe rail system
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats