Obese foreigners are to be banned from adopting Chinese children, according to US adoption agencies.
US-based Children's Hope International said the new regulations were announced after a meeting this month in Beijing between the China Center for Adoption Affairs (CCAA) and international adoption agencies. Children's Hope said a range of restrictions would be introduced to reduce the number of foreigners applying to adopt.
"The CCAA says there are twice as many dossiers to adopt from China as there are orphans available for adoption," it said on its Web site.
"With the new requirements, the CCAA hopes to lessen the number of applicants so that the wait time to adopt will eventually become shorter than the current 15 months," it added.
Another US-based agency, Harrah's Adoption International Mission, said the CCAA also planned to increase the number of children available for adoption, although there was no explanation of how this would be achieved.
Single people will be ruled out and only couples who have been married for more than two years will qualify. The age range for would-be parents will be limited to between 30 and 50.
"The number of people applying for adoptions is soaring, but following the development of China's economy and society, the number of abandoned and orphaned children is less and less," a CCAA official said.
He denied that the new rules were partly designed to stop gay couples from adopting babies.
"We hope that these children can grow up in even better conditions which benefit their healthy growth and so we are putting in place stricter conditions," said the official, who declined to give his name. "We had a meeting with representatives of the adoption agencies last week and explained the gist of the new rules to them."
The new conditions set a bar on parents who have a body mass index of more than 40, according to Harrah's. If either parent is taking medication for anxiety or depression, they will be disqualified, and no family can have more than five children in the home, including the child to be adopted, it said.
The new rules come into effect on May 1, the agencies said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats