Acknowledging his office's mishandling of the special mayoral allowance, Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday apologized for what he called "administrative defects," adding that he would not resign over the matter.
"Although I knew nothing about it and so far there is no evidence to prove [my staffer] pocketed the money, I still need to shoulder administrative, political and moral responsibility for this blemish ... I offer my sincere apologies to Taipei residents," Ma told a press conference at Taipei City Hall.
Yu Wen (余文), a Taipei City staffer who handled reimbursements for the allowance, was found by the city government last month to have substituted receipts for smaller amounts with personal receipts for larger amounts in a bid to reduce his paperwork.
In an attempt to simplify the reimbursement procedure for amounts ranging between NT$10,000 and NT$20,000 -- usually between 50 and 100 receipts each month -- Yu substituted his own receipts for larger amounts for several of the smaller ones, Taipei City Government Secretariat Director Lee Sush-der(李述德) said.
This was not discovered until prosecutors began investigating Ma's use of the special fund, and as a result 3,754 receipts, totaling around NT$800,000, had been "exchanged" in this way since 2003, Lee added.
Ma acknowledged that the case had damaged both his and the city government's reputations and denied shifting the responsibility onto Yu, while saying that he did not need to resign over the matter.
"We did not shift the responsibility onto him to save ourselves. It's the truth, and the prosecutors are investigating the case now ? I don't think that I should resign because I wasn't directly involved in the matter," he said.
Director of the mayor's office Cheng An-kuo (鄭安國), who supervised the allowance reimbursements, offered his resignation yesterday. This was later approved by Ma.
"The situation began before I arrived at the city government, but I did not discover it and failed to prevent it from having such a big impact on both Mayor Ma and the city government. I feel very sorry and I need to take responsibility for this," Cheng told the media.
Yu, on the other hand, was questioned by prosecutors yesterday after the city government's department of government ethics reported Yu's case to prosecutors on Tuesday.
According to Lee, the government ethics department found all of the original receipts in the basement of the city government and the internal investigation found no evidence that Yu had pocketed any of the money.
The government regulations state that half of the mayor's monthly NT$340,000 allowance requires no receipts, while the other half requires receipts for reimbursement.
Of the NT$170,000 portion of the allowance that required receipts, about NT$80,000 was used for rewarding staff members, and another NT$90,000 was spent on public affairs matters.
Ma said his secretaries, drivers and bodyguards received most of the rewards.
Asked to compare this situation with the alleged use of fake receipts to claim reimbursement from the president's "state allowance fund," Ma said while the president and the first lady collected receipts to cover their own expenses, in the city government's case it was only a procedural blemish.
In response to questions from DPP legislators on the amount of money spent on red envelopes for parties and white envelopes for funerals, Cheng said that in addition to the money paid out for the envelopes, there were other related expenses such as flowers and postage.
Cheng dismissed allegations that Ma had used the allowance for his personal living expenses.
Some of the allowance was used to pay for breakfast for Ma's bodyguards and drivers, who usually get up very early to pick the mayor up from his house, he added.
Prosecutor Hou Kuan-jen (
Another 10 people, including Taipei officials and others were also questioned.
"The eleven were released after questioning," Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office spokesman Chang Wen-cheng (
Prosecutors said Yu, however, had been barred from leaving the country.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
also see story:
Editorial: Different rules for different folks
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading