Fourteen civilians were killed in a bomb blast in southern Afghanistan yesterday as the government said it believed around 25 were killed in fighting between NATO and Taliban three days ago.
The UN meanwhile expressed concern about the rising civilian death toll in Afghanistan, where around 40,000 NATO troops and thousands more Afghan troops are fighting a virulent insurgency led by the extremist Taliban.
The 14 -- mostly elderly people and children -- were travelling in a minibus that was struck by a bomb in the southern Uruzgan Province, a provincial government official said.
The bus was hit just outside the provincial capital Tirin Kot, spokesman Abdul Qayom Qayom said.
"Fourteen civilians, mostly elders and children, were killed in the blast and three were wounded," he said.
The blast was caused by a mine that had been planted in the road, interior ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashary told reporters.
It was unclear who was behind the attack, he said.
Officials were also trying to establish how many civilians were killed in clashes between NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Taliban insurgents in Kandahar Province.
The interior ministry in Kabul said around 60 people were killed in the battles late on Tuesday, and more than half were insurgents.
Bashary said later about 25 of the dead appeared to have been civilians, according to preliminary investigations.
An ISAF spokesman in Kandahar said it could confirm 12 civilians were killed in the skirmishes, which included a bombing raid. ISAF has already said it killed 48 insurgents.
ISAF has already said it deeply regretted any civilian deaths in the encounters on Tuesday, the first of which was sparked when up to 40 men attacked a military base in the Panjwayi district. The area -- about 35km west of Kandahar city -- was the focus of Operation Medusa, a major anti-Taliban action last month.
A government-appointed commission found this month that 53 civilians were killed during Operation Medusa, even though ISAF and government officials urged civilians to leave the area before the operation began.
The UN mission in Afghanistan said late on Thursday it was concerned about reports of new civilian deaths.
"The United Nations has always made clear that the safety and welfare of civilians must always come first and any civilian casualties are unacceptable, without exception," it said in a statement.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading