Almost 3,000 vendors who slaughter chickens, ducks and geese on demand at traditional markets will need to find new jobs from Oct. 1, 2008, after the Cabinet yesterday announced its new policy to prevent avian influenza.
"According to our statistics, there are currently 2,855 vendors selling and slaughtering chickens, ducks and geese on demand. The government will help them sell other items or simply help them switch gears to other careers," Political Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Shih Yen-shiang (
Council of Labor Affairs Chairman Lee Ying-yuan (
PHOTO: WANG JUNG-HSIANG, TAIPEI TIMES
Shih said that affected vendors would need new equipment, and that the ministry would provide NT$100,000 (US$3,040) per vendor to buy new refrigeration equipment and NT$60,000 for used equipment.
"The aid will be available upon request until June 2007," Shih said. "Whoever needs this aid will need to file an application with the coordinating office of their local market."
Starting on Oct. 1, 2008, those who slaughter birds in public will be liable for a NT$500,000 fine.
"In addition to helping vendors make the switch, we will be encouraging the establishment of state-of-the-art slaughterhouses," Council of Agriculture Vice Chairman Hu Fu-hsiung (
Hu said that there were 23 abattoirs nationwide, with another 20 under construction, while 39 applications to open slaughterhouses are being processed.
The council will provide NT$15 million to each of the 39 slaughterhouses that are yet to be built to contribute to the cost of installing the necessary equipment.
National Science Council Chairman Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) said that the government was not taking away job opportunities from vendors of live chickens.
"We are only developing a new business model. What's more, this new business model will not increase costs for either the vendors or consumers," Chen said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats