Shards of glass and bloody body parts littered the ground yesterday as Egypt reeled from a three-bomb attack that ripped apart a Sinai beach resort promenade at the height of Egypt's tourist season, killing at least 24 people, including a German child. More than 60 others were hurt.
It was the third terror strike on a Sinai resort in less than two years and, once again, it happened as Egyptians were enjoying a national holiday.
Security police in Sinai said they had arrested for questioning three people who allegedly left Dahab shortly after the explosions. The police said they did not yet know if the explosions -- timed for maximum destruction along the promenade of bars, restaurants and shops on the holiday evening -- were caused by suicide bombers or bombs on timers.
PHOTO: AP
Asked whether they were suicide bombers, Cabinet spokesman Magdy Rady said: "The theory is not clear yet."
As police sifted the wreckage for clues, an Israeli official predicted the Sinai resorts -- popular with both Western and Israeli tourists and Egyptians -- would continue to be a prime target for Islamic extremists.
The attacks were expected to have an immediate impact on tourism, which is Egypt's No. 1 source of foreign exchange -- bringing in US$6.1 billion in 2004. The Sinai resorts account for about 25 percent of Egypt's hotel beds.
"Egypt is capable of overcoming such a crisis," Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif said as he visited wounded survivors in a hospital in Sharm el-Sheik, the biggest city in south Sinai. "We have overcome bigger crises."
A witness said tourists did not know where to run as the blasts kept coming.
"I heard the first bomb, I started running. When I heard the second one, we were still running," said Johanna Sarjas, a journalist from Finland who was on holiday. "It was chaotic because we didn't know in which direction to run. You didn't know where the next bomb would come from."
The resort blasts were so powerful that police divers worked yesterday morning to retrieve body parts from the shallow waters of the sea. At one spot near the beach, two black sandals lay in a pool of blood on a wooden footbridge.
The country's biggest opposition party, the Muslim Brotherhood, condemned the attacks and "whoever might be behind them."
The triple blasts brought anguish and calls for an end to violence from Arabs across the region, many of whom questioned why Muslims have now become a prime target for terrorists.
"They want to change our government and break our people," said Mustafa Mahmoud, 24, who works at a travel agency in Cairo.
Governments also were quick to condemn -- as were radical Muslim groups who try to distance themselves from al-Qaeda-like groups.
Jordan's King Abdullah II said it was necessary to bolster "unified international efforts to combat this dangerous disease [terrorism], which is completely alien to our Islamic values and traditions."
Syrian President Bashar Assad also condemned the "criminal act."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary