Exit polls yesterday said Italian voters have ousted Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi after an acrimonious election campaign, ending his flamboyant five-year reign and handing victory to a center-left coalition led by Romano Prodi.
"We're still very cautious, but if these indications are confirmed that would mean that Italy had decided to turn the page and begin a new era," said a spokesman at Prodi's campaign headquarters.
A Nexus poll for state broadcaster RAI gave Prodi's multi-party coalition -- which includes Communists as well as Catholics and liberals -- a majority in both houses of parliament.
It showed the center-left bloc had between 50 percent and 54 percent of the vote for both the lower Chamber of Deputies and upper house Senate against 45 percent to 49 percent to Berlusconi's House of Freedoms coalition.
The exit polls were released within minutes of the close of voting at 3pm after a two-day general election.
Senator Paolo Guzzanti of Berlusconi's Forza Italia party said: "Our coalition has lost the elections. We expected something like this because we've lost every [local] election since 2001."
Berlusconi made no immediate comment, although the exit polls forecast a collapse of the Forza Italia vote, giving it between 20 percent and 23 percent of the poll, as against the 29.4 percent it took when Berlusconi swept to power.
"The exit polls are unfavorable, but we are remaining very cautious," Forza Italia campaign analyst Denis Verdini said. "What's interesting for us is that the turnout figure is above 83 percent, which is very good for us. One vote could make all the difference in the Chamber of Deputies."
Prodi -- a 66-year-old economist who unseated Berlusconi in 1996 -- earlier said he was "confident, very confident," of maintaining his hex on the media magnate.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary