Gunmen shouting "God is Great" dragged what appeared to be the burning body of a US pilot in a horrific video posted on Wednesday on the Web by a new al-Qaeda-affiliated group that claimed it shot down an Apache helicopter last weekend.
The US military expressed outrage over the release of "such a despicable video for public exposure," but said it could not confirm the authenticity. The date stamp on the video was Sunday, April 2, a day after the AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopter was downed southwest of Baghdad, killing the two pilots.
Lieutenant Colonel Barry Johnson, a spokesman for the US command, said the wreckage shown on the video "does appear to be an AH-64," but added that other helicopters of that type have been lost.
"We have serious doubts about the authenticity of this video, a common tactic we see terrorist groups use to keep the stories they want alive in the media," he said.
A US statement said troops had recovered "all available remains" although "reports of a Web site video suggest that terrorists removed part of a body from the crash site," near Youssifiyah, about 20km southwest of Baghdad.
"We are outraged that anyone would create and publish such a despicable video for public exposure," Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Withington, a US spokesman, said. "Terrorists continue to demonstrate their immoral disregard for human dignity and life."
Although the images were blurry, the flaming wreckage of a helicopter could be seen clearly, including outlines of the aircraft's blades and jagged pieces of wreckage strewn over a field.
The camera panned over bloodstained wreckage, then showed several men dragging the burning body of a man across a field as they shouted "Allahu Akbar," or "God is Great" in celebration. Voices could be heard in the background shouting "come, come, help me carry it."
The body's face was not visible, but the camera zoomed in on what appeared to be his waistline, which showed a scrap of underwear with the brand name "Hanes" on it.
It appeared the man was wearing tattered digital camouflage fatigues, which are worn by US troops in Iraq.
In Alexandria, Virginia, Ben Venzke, head of IntelCenter, a defense contractor which monitors militant statements, said it appeared on first viewing that the tape was authentic.
He also said the discrepancy on the times could be simply a technical error in the setting.
"Based on an initial review of the footage, it would seem to indicate the downing of a helicopter and the removal of crew and passengers from the craft," he said. "On an initial review, it does appear to be what it purports to be."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats