After Israel's grab of top Palestinian prisoners from a West Bank jail, Palestinians staged protest strikes yesterday, their embarrassed president rushed back from Europe and Israel said it was determined to put the detainees on trial for the assassination of an Israeli Cabinet minister.
"Got 'em!" gloated one banner newspaper headline, above a large photo of blindfolded, handcuffed Palestinian militant leader Ahmed Saadat being led away by Israeli troops in the West Bank town of Jericho.
Tuesday's daylong siege came just two weeks before Israel's general election and boosted acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's image as a tough-minded leader. Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz, a member of Olmert's centrist Kadima Party, dismissed allegations by Palestinian officials and critics at home that the operation, which involved some 1,000 troops, was timed to win over hardline voters.
The raid triggered unprecedented Palestinian reprisals against foreigners, because British wardens -- who along with American monitors had supervised the Jericho prisoners under an unusual 2002 arrangement -- left their posts just before Israeli troops arrived.
Gunmen vandalized Western offices and kidnapped 11 foreigners, including a US university professor. By Wednesday afternoon, all had been released.
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas cut short a European tour and was to return to the West Bank yesterday. In an unusually harsh statement, he blamed the US and Britain for the Israeli raid, which made him appear increasingly weak to his people.
Later yesterday, Abbas toured the ruins of the Jericho prison and was to visit those wounded in fighting.
In London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair defended the UK's withdrawal of monitors from the prison just before the Israeli raid, saying they were pulled out for their own safety.
Speaking in parliament's lower House of Commons, Blair dismissed the notion that the withdrawal was uncalled for.
"For the past three months we have been warning the Palestinian Authority that the security of these monitors was at risk, that the procedures at the particular detention center were not adequate and proper," he said.
"That culminated last week on March 8 with both the UK and US consuls general jointly writing to President Abbas, making it clear that unless the the Palestinian Authority met its obligations, we would have to terminate involvement with the mission with immediate effect," he said.
Israeli officials said that once the monitors left, they were forced to act in light of recent statements by Palestinian officials and Hamas leaders -- including incoming Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh -- of plans to release the prisoners.
"As soon as Haniyeh said that he is going to free them, why should we give them any time?" Mofaz, the Israeli defense minister, told Army Radio Wednesday.
In Strasbourg, European parliamentarians roundly criticized Israel yesterday for the prison raid that forced Abbas to cut short his visit to Europe.
Deprived of a long-awaited address by Abbas, whose impoverished Palestinian territories receive vast amounts of EU aid, the deputies condemned the attack and the wave of revenge kidnappings it fueled.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats