The Muslim Brotherhood said yesterday it is launching a worldwide donation campaign for a Hamas-led Palestinian government in the face of US efforts to stop the flow of money to the hard-line group.
The pledge by the Brotherhood, which has branches and affiliated groups in 86 countries, comes as US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice started a Middle East shuttle yesterday to caution regional powers against giving money to a Hamas-led government. The US and Europe, the world's two largest donors to the Palestinians, said they will not provide funding directly to the Palestinian Authority if Hamas heads the government.
"This is injustice and an attempt to impose a blockade on the Palestinians," said the Brotherhood's supreme leader, Mohammed Mahdi Akef.
"We will appeal to each and every Muslim to help the Palestinians in the face of this unjust and fierce campaign [against Hamas]," Akef told reporters.
Another Brotherhood leader said the group will ask its supporters to donate one quarter of their income to support Hamas.
"The Muslim Brotherhood [supporters] are ready to give a quarter of their income of more to support the Palestinian cause and back Hamas," Mohammed Hilal told the Cairo-based al-Masry al-Yawm newspaper.
Arab and Islamic governments are also trying to make up any shortfall in Palestinian finances caused by a cutoff in Western aid.
The Organization of the Islamic Conference, a 57-member grouping of Muslim nations, plans to provide institutional and financial aid to the Hamas-led Palestinian Authority, Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said yesterday.
"We will [provide funding]. I have already spoken to some [OIC] leaders about it. We want to help, too," he told reporters.
Also yesterday, foreign ministers from several Arab countries were to meet in Algiers to examine a plan to send about US$50 million a month to the Palestinian Authority. A final decision is not expected until Arab leaders meet in a summit next month in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum.
Meanwhile, in fresh violence yesterday, Israeli troops carried out a raid in the West Bank city of Nablus and ambushed gunmen from Islamic Jihad, killing two, including the group's West Bank commander, Palestinian sources said. Four gunmen were wounded.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats