China's propaganda mandarins closed an outspoken supplement of a respected newspaper, as Web search leader Google announced restrictions on a new service for China to avoid confrontation with Beijing.
China's Communist Party publicity department ordered Freezing Point, the weekly supplement of the China Youth Daily, to stop publication, its founding editor Li Datong (
Li's blog has also been shut down after he publicized the decision to close the weekly, founded in 1995 with a circulation of 300,000.
He declined further comment.
The Communist Party has tightened its hold over the media, the Internet, non-governmental organizations, lawyers, academics and dissidents to prevent "color revolutions" along the lines of popular protests which toppled dictatorships in post-Soviet Georgia and Ukraine in recent years.
Prison sentence
China also sentenced a journalist to three years in prison on Tuesday for fabricating and spreading alarmist information about an outbreak of dengue fever in Fujian Province in 2004, defense lawyer Mo Shaoping (
Li Changqing (
China was the world's leading jailer of journalists last year for the seventh consecutive year with 32 behind bars, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists.
A China Youth Daily editor who requested anonymity said the weekly supplement was shut for publishing an essay this month by Sun Yat-sen University history professor Yuan Weishi, which criticized Chinese high school textbooks for portraying the 1900 xenophobic Boxer Rebellion as a patriotic movement.
Do no evil?
Meanwhile, US Internet giant Google launched a new service in China yesterday after agreeing to censor Web sites and content banned by the nation's propaganda chiefs, the company said.
Lured by China's vast and growing online market, Google joined other Western Internet giants, including Microsoft and Yahoo, which have bowed to the government's strict policing of the Web.
"In order to operate from China, we have removed some content from the search results available on Google.cn, in response to local law, regulation or policy," the company said in a statement announcing its new Google.cn service.
"While removing search results is inconsistent with Google's mission, providing no information ... is more inconsistent with our mission," the statement said.
Google.cn will work within limits set by the Chinese government, with Google removing links to Web sites deemed unacceptable to the government, the company said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading