Masked gunmen stormed into a club for UN workers in Gaza City yesterday and blew up the drinking hall in the latest sign of spiraling unrest ahead of a Palestinian election.
It was the first such attack in Gaza on a UN target and came against a backdrop of growing unease. On Friday, a group freed three British hostages that had been seized to demand foreign pressure on Israel. Yesterday, an Italian peace activist was abducted, but was reported to have been released a short while later.
The bombing was another big blow for President Mahmoud Abbas, just hours after he had vowed to impose order ahead of a Jan. 25 election and as militants announced the expiry of a de facto truce with Israel that they had followed at his behest.
Gunmen burst into the UN club, the only place that alcohol is served openly in conservative Muslim Gaza.
The club had been closed for the day. The attackers tied up the security guard and struck him with gun butts.
Then they set explosives in front of the bar, unrolled a detonator cable and blew up the charges, ripping up the roof and shattering the windows.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The UN is generally viewed with sympathy in Gaza. Its agency supporting Palestinian refugees and their descendants, more than half of Gaza's 1.4 million population, is the second biggest employer after the Palestinian Authority.
"The club has been there for 50 years," one UN security worker said. "This is the first time anything like this has happened."
Non-essential UN staff had already left Gaza because of the danger of kidnappings and a rash of violent protests and internal clashes.
Meanwhile, an Italian peace activist became the fourth European to be kidnapped in less than a week in the Gaza Strip yesterday after being abducted at gunpoint in the south of the territory. There were conflicting reports of his release.
The male activist had been part of a group of around 20 Italians on a mission designed to show solidarity with the Palestinian people, security sources said.
But shortly arriving in the city of Khan Yunis, he found himself being bundled into a vehicle by masked by gunmen who promptly sped him away to an unknown destination.
"He has been freed," Luisa Morgantini, a European member of parliament and one of the leaders of the delegation, said by telephone from the Gaza Strip.
Morgantini, who declined to give the Italian's identity, said she learned of his release through indirect contacts with the kidnappers.
Palestinian security forces, however, said they were still searching for the hostage.
The delegation had been due to hold talks with finance ministry officials when the activist was kidnapped.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary