Former Presidential Office deputy secretary-general Chen Che-nan (陳哲男) will be expelled from the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for his alleged involvement in the Kaohsiung Rapid Transit Corp (KRTC) scandal, DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said yesterday.
The expulsion will be made official in a provisional Central Standing Committee which the DPP is to hold this evening.
The move came after a further scandal involving Chen came to light, when a picture was released by a talk show on the television station TVBS, which showed Chen Che-nan and former KRTC vice chairman Chen Min-hsien (陳敏賢) sitting together at a casino table in South Korea's Cheju Island on Nov. 2, 2002, Su said the DPP will deal with Chen Che-nan with "the harshest punishment under the highest standard" if he did involved in the scandal.
It is considered a breach of protocol for Taiwanese officials to travel to a foreign country without permission.
POSSIBLE VIOLATION
Presidential Office Secretary-General Yu Shyi-kun said that Chen Che-nan might have violated the Public Service Act.
"The harshest punishment is to be expelled from the DPP. Any party member who violates the law or discipline or is dishonest to society will impact the DPP's image, and we have to do something about this situation," Su said. "We are deeply sorry [for the scandal]."
Su said the DPP established a panel two weeks ago to probe into Chen Che-nan's involvement in the KRTC scandal, and that a final investigation report will be released in the next two days.
Expressing concern that the scandal will have a negative impact on the DPP candidates' electoral outlook in December's local government elections, DPP Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬), also the chief of the DPP's central evaluation committee, said the DPP should take disciplinary action against Chen Che-nan as soon as possible if he was implicated in the case.
The DPP originally planned to deal with the issue in the Central Standing Committee meeting to be held next Wednesday.
However, to deal with the escalating scandal, the party decided to hold a provisional central standing committee meeting tonight at 9:30pm.
"It is unavoidable that a green forest will be infested by some pests. But the DPP will manage inappropriate affairs caused by some party members as quickly as possible and take responsibility," Su said.
After being questioned at the Kaohsiung Prosecutors' Office last night, Chen Che-nan was released on bail for NT$500,000.
RESPONSE
In response to accusations made by a guest on the TVBS talk show who claimed that President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) was involved in the KRTC scandal because he had seen documents regarding importation of Thai laborers, Presidential Office Spokesman Chen Wen-tsung (陳文宗) said the accusation was far from reality.
The president had not seen such documents, the spokesman said.
"It is conventional procedure for the Executive Yuan to present all documents that the government has signed with other countries to the Presidential Office. The practice has existed since the former government was in power," the spokesman said.
Chen Wen-tzung said the presidential office got such documents from the Executive Yuan each year -- 78 pieces in 1999, 46 in 2000, 61 in 2001, 56 in 2002, 54 in 2003 and 60 last year.
However, as the government wished to simplify the approval procedure for documents sent from the Executive Yuan, the president did not see the documents mentioned in the TV talk show, he said.
The spokesman said that the documents were received by Chao Lin (趙麟), the director of the Presidential Office's bureau in charge of documents, and then sent by Chao to the deputy secretary-general of the office, Ma Yung-cheng (馬永成), who was then the manager of the president's office.
The spokesman added that the presidential office had transferred Chen Che-nan's case to the Control Yuan yesterday for investigation.
Meanwhile, Yu yesterday told the media that the president was not happy about Chen Che-nan's misconduct.
"It is illegal and improper for government employees to go abroad without asking for leave beforehand. The Presidential Office won't cover up his mistake," Yu said.
Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) yesterday said the DPP should not be afraid that the investigation of alleged scandals will impact its year-end elections.
"Let it be what it should be. Let prosecutors finish their jobs," Hsieh said. "It is not time for us DPP people to worry about whether we will lose votes during the year-end elections because of this."
Hsieh made his remarks when fielding questions on the legislative floor yesterday.
Hsieh said that taking advantage of the alleged scandals to attack the DPP may only be the pan-blue camp's wishful thinking, because he had heard that things were not as simple as they seem.
"The alleged Kaohsiung MRT project scandal for instance, I have learned that many pan-blue lawmakers are also involved," Hsieh said. "Just leave prosecutors alone and let them finish their investigation."
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (
People First Party Chairman James Soong (
"Canceling Chen Che-nan's party membership is merely a means to shift the focus, and the president should apologize for Chen's actions," Soong said. "The DPP government is corrupting so fast that it is astonishing to watch."
Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang and Mo Yan-chih
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats