China's largest and most populated city, Shanghai, built on the marshy banks of the Huangpu River, is slowly sinking, though at a slower rate than before, a report said yesterday.
The modern metropolis is home to nearly 17 million people and although over-exploitation of underground water is the main cause, its 3,000 high-rises built on soft, wet ground have contributed to the problem of subsidence, experts said.
The eastern port sunk 8.7mm last year, more than the target rate of 5mm a year hoped for by 2010, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing a geological survey.
The subsidence rate in 2003 was 10.4mm, down slightly from 11.1mm in 2002. If Shanghai continued to sink at 10mm per year it would reach sea level in 40 years.
To counteract the problem, underground water must be pumped out a rate of 865 million tonnes annually, the figure recorded last year, the report said.
Subsidence is clearly seen in Puxi District's Nanpu Bridge and the Lujiazui financial district in Pudong, which is littered with new skyscrapers.
"Once any increase in subsidence is observed, we will suggest the government take actions such as further controlling the pumping of underground water," said Yu Junying, an engineer with the Shanghai Institute of Geological Survey.
Researchers calculate the rate of subsidence by hammering two tubes underground and observing the distance each moves.
There are more than 100 buildings over 100m in Shanghai.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods