The death toll in China from a mysterious pig-borne disease continued to rise, with several more cities affected, statistics showed yesterday, despite the government saying that the epidemic was under control.
The number of people killed by the streptococcus suis bacteria, which is usually spread among pigs, rose to 32 while the number of cases increased to 163, according to the health ministry's Web site.
That was one more death and 11 more cases than on Friday.
While some suspected cases had tested negative, more suspected or confirmed cases were being found, with a significant number of people still in hospital, 24 of them in critical condition.
Only 11 have been treated and released, the ministry said.
The epidemic first discovered last month was now affecting 155 villages in seven cities in Sichuan Province, including the provincial capital Chengdu, up from two cities initially, according to the ministry.
Still, it said the new cases were not necessarily new infections, but were discovered due to strengthened detection by health authorities.
Four officials from Ziyang city, where many of the infected pigs and humans were found, have been dismissed for dereliction of duty, China Daily said yesterday.
The communist party chief and deputy chief of Dongfeng town were fired after failing to prevent a farmer from butchering sick pigs. The farmer is still in hospital.
A quarantine official in Qingfeng town was sacked for allowing pigs to be transported outside an affected village despite a ban against pig and pork exports. Details of the fourth official were not disclosed, the report said.
Health Minister Gao Qiang (高強), who visited Sichuan this week, said on Thursday that the disease was "under control," but the World Health Organization (WHO) disagreed.
A team of 49 experts has been sent to affected areas to treat patients, the Beijing News said, but no effective medicine has been found -- one reason for the high death rate of one in five.
Agriculture Minister Du Qinglin (
So far all the officially reported cases are in Sichuan, China's largest pig-producing province.
A suspected case was reported in Chaozhou, Guangdong Province, but it originated from a southwestern province, the Xinhua news agency cited the health department as saying, without elaborating.
The epidemic has alarmed people as far away as Beijing.
Health inspectors there surveyed markets this week, checking for and destroying suspect pork. They also checked live pigs entering the capital for the bacteria and so far found no suspect swine, the Beijing News said.
Victims contracted the bacteria from slaughtering or processing infected pigs or handling infected pork, state media had quoted experts saying. Many had open wounds which allowed the bacteria to enter their blood stream.
Symptoms include high fever, vomiting and hemorrhaging, with many patients going into severe shock.
The WHO has said it was baffled because if the epidemic was caused by the bacteria, it would be the first time it had struck so many people at one time. Normally, only one or two cases of the rare disease are seen.
Sichuan officials have launched a campaign to educate poor, illiterate farmers not to slaughter sick pigs or eat their meat.
More than 2 million notices have been issued in affected areas informing farmers of the dangers, the China Daily reported yesterday, quoting a vice mayor of Ziyang, near Chengdu.
About 50,000 health workers and officials have been sent out to inspect and register every pig, and authorities have set up 39 roadside quarantine stations to stop dead pigs from reaching markets.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats