A mysterious pig-borne disease has spread to six more towns in southwest China and the number of people killed has risen to 31, the Chinese government said yesterday as it scrambled to reassure the public.
The health ministry said on its Web site that the total number of people affected increased to 152 by noon on Wednesday -- four more deaths and 21 more cases than the day before. Twenty-one people are in critical condition.
Six more towns in Sichuan Province reported cases on Wednesday, in addition to the two cities, Ziyang and Neijiang, where people first fell ill after slaughtering pigs foaming at the mouth last month, the ministry said.
PHOTO: AFP
The World Health Organization (WHO) said it was baffled.
It said if the disease was indeed caused by the streptococcus suis bacterium, as preliminary Chinese results show, it would be the first time the bacterium had struck so many people at one time -- raising fears it had become more virulent.
The Chinese government was working to reassure the public that it had the problem under control, stressing the spread could be stopped if people avoided slaughtering infected pigs.
"We have the technology and procedures to bring the disease under control," the China Daily quoted an agriculture ministry official as saying.
Investigations show that only those who came in contact with infected pigs or pork -- through slaughtering or processing -- and had open wounds fell ill, the Beijing Daily Messenger cited experts as saying.
Those who only ate the cooked pork did not get sick, it said.
The victims were mostly farmers who raised pigs in small, insanitary farms. Farmers said they had a habit of eating sick pigs instead of burying them because they were poor.
Newspaper accounts said many people pitched in to shave the hair off the killed swine, wash the internal organs and chop up the meat to distribute.
One woman who fell ill was quoted by the Beijing Daily Messenger as saying that she did not think anything of the small wound on her hand when she helped a relative kill a pig last week.
"After killing the pig, our entire family boiled three bowls of pork to eat. After eating just a few mouthfuls of the meat, I felt my heart pound, dizzy and nauseous," Jiang Suhua said. "Later my legs were so weak I couldn't stand up. My arms and legs also had large blotches of blood under the skin."
Another farmer said that a relative gave him a slice of freshly cut pork and he became dizzy and weak just from taking the pork home.
Other symptoms include high fever, vomiting and hemorrhaging, with many patients going into severe shock. Some of the victims died within 10 hours of showing symptoms, reports said.
The disease is rare, with the first recorded case in Denmark in 1968. More than 200 cases of human infection have been reported since then, not counting the latest data.
WHO spokesman Bob Dietz said it was too soon to say the bacterium was the cause or the only cause of the outbreak, adding that more laboratory tests were needed to see if other factors may be at work.
"We can't discount the possibility there could be other bacteria, virus or something else active in here," Dietz said.
The bacterium is endemic in Asia, North America and Europe, he said.
If it is the cause of the outbreak, the Chinese farmers' close proximity to their pigs might be a reason for the large number of cases.
"What we're accustomed to seeing is one or two cases ... Here, where pigs and humans are so intertwined in the countryside, it might explain why so many people are becoming sick," Dietz said.
An outbreak occurred in 1998 in eastern Jiangsu Province and a few people died, the China Daily quoted researchers as saying, but they did not reveal a death toll.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats