British police investigating a series of failed bomb attacks in London said yesterday they had arrested four men in the English city of Birmingham.
One man was arrested during a police search of a home in England's second largest city of Birmingham, at 4:30am, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said. The man was shot with a stun gun during the search and police said they uncovered a suspicious package, which was being examined by explosives experts.
Three other men were arrested shortly after at another home in the city, about 190km northwest of London.
"The operations are in connection with the incidents in London on July 21," the spokesman said on customary condition of anonymity. Four bombs were planted on London Underground trains and a bus on that day, but they failed to fully detonate.
Police have since then launched a manhunt after releasing images of four men thought responsible for planting the devices. They released the names of two of the suspects.
Officials could not confirm reports that one of the men arrested in Birmingham was one of the four suspected bombers.
Police have been trying to determine whether last week's failed bombings were connected to the deadly July 7 attacks that killed 52 people and the four suicide bombers who carried them out.
In a separate development, two other men were arrested on suspicion of terrorism while traveling on a train in the midlands region.
Lincolnshire police said the train, which was on its way to London's King's Cross station from Newcastle, was stopped at Grantham where the men were arrested at 11pm Tuesday.
The men were being held under the Prevention of Terrorism Act and would be questioned yesterday. It was not immediately clear if the arrests were linked to the investigation into the London bombings.
The Birmingham arrests also came as police explosives experts were examining suspicious material found in a north London apartment connected to two men suspected of planting failed bombs, both identified as African immigrants who moved to Britain as children.
The bombs, which failed to fully detonate, were stored in clear plastic food containers and put into dark-colored bags or backpacks. A spokesman said those four bombs were similar to another found abandoned in a park Saturday, raising fears that a fifth bomber is on the loose.
The police spokesman said the first man arrested was being brought to the high-security Paddington Green police station in central London, while the other three were being held in Birmingham.
also see story:
Police say bombers played in Wales
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary