North and South Korean delegations to this week's six-party talks on Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions agreed at a meeting yesterday that solid progress needs to be made during the upcoming discussions, while the American representative predicted it likely wouldn't be the last round of negotiations.
The 100-minute meeting was led by South Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Song Min-soon and his North Korean counterpart, Kim Kye-gwan, said Bae Young-han, a spokesman for the delegation from Seoul.
"They have agreed on the need to make substantial progress" at this round of talks, said Bae, the director general for press and public relations at South Korea's Foreign Ministry. He said the delegates discussed "many issues," but would not give any details.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency cited Song as saying that the two sides "agreed to come up with a framework to realize denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula." It did not elaborate.
Song also said the two Koreas agreed to maintain bilateral contact throughout the talks, and to cooperate to bring results, according to the Yonhap report.
Earlier this month, Seoul offered Pyongyang a new incentive to the ongoing talks -- 2 million kilowatts of electricity by 2008 after infrastructure is built if the North agrees to dismantle its nuclear weapons.
The latest round of six-nation talks also involving the US, China, Japan and Russia are set to begin on tomorrow.
"I wouldn't expect this to be the last set of negotiations," Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, the top American delegate, told reporters after arriving in Beijing. "The negotiations have been in suspension ... for over a year, so we have to see where we go with these. We would like to make some measurable progress."
He did not indicate what Washington considers that to be.
"It's going to take a little time, it's going to take a lot of work," Hill said. "But we come here in a real spirit of trying to make some real progress."
North Korea said earlier this month it would end its 13-month boycott of the talks after being reassured by a US envoy that Washington recognized its sovereignty.
Three previous meetings hosted by Beijing have failed to resolve the nuclear standoff, sparked in 2002 after US officials accused the reclusive Stalinist regime of running a secret uranium enrichment program.
Pyongyang has repeatedly said its nuclear weapons programs are a "self-defensive deterrent force" against what it calls hostile US policies.
In February, the North publicly claimed it had nuclear weapons and has since made moves that would allow it to harvest more radioactive material for bombs. While it hasn't performed any known nuclear tests that would confirm it can make a functioning atomic weapon, experts believe Pyongyang has enough weapons-grade plutonium for about a half-dozen bombs.
also see story:
Japan to discuss fate of abductees at nuclear talks
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary