Police investigating this week's failed bombings said yesterday they had arrested a second man in a south London neighborhood close to the scene of one of the attacks and where officers shot another suspect dead in a subway train.
Thousands of officers conducted a huge manhunt amid hopes the publication of images of four suspected attackers would lead to their capture.
Security alerts kept the city of about 8 million on edge. Police briefly evacuated east London's Mile End subway station in one such incident and one witness reported the smell of something burning. Service was suspended on parts of two subway lines. Police said later that the incident "turned out to be nothing."
Earlier, the Metropolitan Police said the second arrest late Friday was "in connection with our inquiries" into Thursday's attacks. The first suspect, whose identity has also not been released, was being questioned at a high-security London police station.
The force said it had had a good response to Friday's release of the photos, which were captured on closed-circuit surveillance cameras. Police said their anti-terrorist hotline had received more than 400 calls since Friday's appeal.
Authorities gave few details about the arrests, made under anti-terrorism legislation Friday in the Stockwell area of south London, where another man was shot dead by plainclothes officers in front of stunned subway commuters. Stockwell is near Oval station, the scene of one of Thursday's bungled bombings.
The men can be held for up to 14 days before they must be charged or released under the anti-terrorism legislation.
Friday was a day that jangled London's jittery nerves, with repeated security alerts on the transport system and armed raids on several properties.
Police would not say whether either the man killed or the men they arrested were among the four suspected of carrying bombs onto three subway trains and a bus on Thursday. Media reported widely that the man who was shot was not one of the bombers.
The bombs, which contained homemade explosives, failed to detonate properly and no one was injured, which echoed the much deadlier blasts two weeks earlier that killed 52 people and four suspected bombers.
Police commissioner Sir Ian Blair said that dealing with the threat posed by the bombers was "the greatest operational challenge ever faced by the Metropolitan Police Service."
He said the service, which for years had to deal with terror campaigns waged by the Irish Republican Army, was now "facing previously unknown threats and great danger."
The startlingly clear closed-circuit TV images of the suspects stared from the front pages of British newspapers yesterday. "Faces of the four bombers," said the Daily Telegraph. "The Fugitives" said the Times, while the Daily Mail labeled them "Human Bombs."
One image shows a stocky man in a "NEW YORK" sweat shirt running through a station. Another depicts a man in a white baseball cap and a T-shirt adorned with palm trees. Two others are in dark clothes, slightly obscured by a poor camera angle.
Authorities released the images Friday as snipers and bomb squads fanned out across the nervous city.
Heavily armed officers patrolled the British capital with clear instructions to stop suicide bombers -- if necessary, with a shot to the head.
"If you are dealing with someone who might be a suicide bomber, if they remain conscious, they could trigger plastic explosives or whatever device is on them," said Mayor Ken Livingstone. "Therefore, overwhelmingly in these circumstances, it is going to be a shoot-to-kill policy."
Muslims have voiced renewed concerns about a backlash. One of London's largest mosques was briefly evacuated after a bomb threat, and more than 100 "revenge attacks" have been reported.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary