More than 50 people representing Taiwan's indigenous tribes arrived in Japan yesterday to demand that the names of their ancestors forced to fight in World War II be removed from a controversial war memorial.
The protesters, many in traditional clothes, held a ceremony outside an airport lobby before they boarded their planes to summon the spirits of their ancestors killed in the war.
Representing nine tribes, they plan to protest from today outside Yasukuni shrine, dedicated to 2.5 million war dead, including 14 convicted Japanese war criminals.
PHOTO: AFP
Japanese authorities have, however, warned them via Taiwan's de facto embassy that they would be barred from visiting the shrine.
The group also plans to travel to Osaka where a verdict is expected on June 17 in a court case demanding the removal of the names.
Some 28,000 Taiwanese names -- about 10,000 of them of indigenous Taiwanese forced to join the Japanese military -- are listed at the shrine.
The soldiers listed were pressed into military service when Taiwan was a Japanese colony from 1895 to 1945.
"What we want is simple: that the names of our sacrificed ancestors be removed from the Yasukuni shrine," Chang Chun-chieh (張俊傑), an aide to Legislator May Chin (高金素梅) who is heading the group, said.
"The names of the ancestors should not be listed together with some 1,100 Japanese soldiers who died while invading [Taiwan]," Chang said.
Another protester, Tu Shui-chiu, told reporters: "I had dreamed of a group of ancestors last night. They are anxiously waiting for our arrival."
May Chin said last week her office had received "countless phone calls" warning her group against making the trip.
She said she had also been sent an anonymous postcard which threatened in Mandarin: "I will wait for you in Japan on June 13 so that you can come to Japan and return lifeless to Taiwan."
Undaunted, she said: "We'll protest in a peaceful manner as scheduled."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats