Thousands of Indonesian Muslim activists staged a rally outside the US-embassy in Jakarta yesterday, condemning the alleged desecration of Islam's holy book, the Koran, by interrogators at the US detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Despite the US-based Newsweek magazine's retraction of its report and apology, it failed to mollify outraged Muslim activists in Indonesia.
Witnesses estimated that around 10,000 activists from dozens of Muslim groups, including hardliner organizations and Islamic-based political parties, including the Islamic Defender Front and the Indonesian Mujahidin Council, and several Islamic-based political parties, demonstrated at outside the US embassy in Jakarta.
It was the biggest anti-US protest in Indonesia, home to the world's most populous Muslim country, in recent months.
The protestors unfurled banners denouncing what they called US arrogance.
One read: "Chase the US imperialism out of Muslim countries."
Newsweek said in its initial report two weeks ago that US interrogators at Guantanamo detention center committed desecration of the Koran by placing copies of the Islam holy book on toilets, and in at least one instance, a US servicemen had put a copy of Koran in a toilet.
The protestors demanded that President George W. Bush stop insulting Muslims and immediately close down the Guantanamo detention center as well as other prisons, including Abu Ghraib in Baghdad.
They also called on the US to immediately pull out from Iraq, Afghanistan and other Muslim countries.
The demonstrators warned that Muslims worldwide would take revenge for what the US servicemen had done.
"We will continue to press the US government to stop desecrating the Holy Koran and Muslims," said Syaifullah of Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia, one of the Islamic hardliner groups.
A number of leaders in the Indonesian Muslim community have previously condemned the reports, arguing that any such desecration would be intolerable and abominable.
Nearly 88 percent of Indonesia's 215 million people are Muslim, making it the worlds most populous Islamic nation.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats