China has ordered emergency measures to prevent an outbreak of avian flu, including the closure of nature reserves to the public, after investigators said migratory birds found dead in the country's west this month were killed by the virus.
Local authorities were ordered to watch wild birds for signs of disease and impose quarantines if necessary, the official Xinhua News Agency said. It said farms near migration routes were ordered to immunize their birds, while the public was warned to "stop contact with poultry."
The order came hours after the Agriculture Ministry announced that migratory birds found dead May 4 in the western province of Qinghai were killed by the deadly H5N1 strain of the virus. Xinhua said that some came from Southeast Asia but it didn't say what species they were.
The ministry "asked the whole country to pay keen attention to the new confirmed cases of migratory birds and to take effective measures to curb possibly spreading the epidemic," Xinhua said.
It said that the public "should not be too worried," but said "everyone in the country should enhance monitoring for the epidemic and improve their early warning system."
The regional death toll in the latest bird flu outbreak rose to 53 this week when another fatality was reported in Vietnam.
The World Health Organization warned Thursday that the virus poses a great potential threat to humans if it develops the ability to spread easily from person to person. There is no evidence so far of such a change and most cases have been traced to contact with sick birds.
The dead birds were found in Niannaisuoma, a village near the city of Guangcha in Qinghai, Xinhua reported.
"The disease did not spread to [humans] or fowl," Xinhua said. It didn't say how many birds died or give other details.
A report on the Web site of the newspaper Life Daily said 178 birds were found dead on May 4 in the lake at Bird Island, a major research center for migratory water fowl.
China's most recent known case of bird flu occurred last July in the eastern province of Anhui.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats