Japan's foreign minister said yesterday he would demand China end what Tokyo believes is official backing for mass anti-Japanese protests, as Chinese activists urged even bigger rallies this weekend.
Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura is due in Beijing on Sunday as tensions steadily grow worse between the neighbors, with Japan approving a nationalist history textbook and oil and gas exploration in contested fields.
Japan has demanded an apology and compensation over last weekend's violence, when thousands of protesters marched to the Japanese embassy and pelted it with bottles and cans in Beijing's biggest demonstration in years.
"The demonstrators were shouting, `There is no guilt in patriotism.' The Chinese foreign ministry saying that it [the protest] is tolerable and natural means the government approved it," Machimura told a parliamentary committee.
"I will tell them that frankly" in the Beijing talks, he said.
The rallies were called to protest the textbook that China says whitewashes Japan's atrocities in Asia as Japan seeks a prestigious permanent seat on the UN Security Council, whose current set-up dates from World War II.
China, the only Asian permanent member, reiterated yesterday it did not feel Japan deserved a seat if the Security Council is expanded for the first time since the 1945.
But Beijing said it backed the three countries in a joint bid with Japan: Brazil, Germany and also India, with which China has been repairing ties after decades of unease.
"Only when a country respects history and is able to win trust from its neighboring countries can it be able to play a greater role in international affairs," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang told journalists.
Chinese protesters say that Japan has also not atoned for its crimes during the 1931-1945 occupation of China, such as the orgy of rape, murder and destruction by Japanese soldiers in the 1937 massacre of Nanjing.
Senior Chinese lawmaker Lu Yongxiang on a visit to Tokyo reiterated Beijing's position that the protests were "naturally emerging reactions from a certain group of the people" but predicted calm would return.
"We are trying to prevent it from escalating and it will recede," Lu said.
But Beijing has accused Tokyo of "provocation" for Wednesday agreeing to let its companies drill for oil and gas in fields contested with China in the East China Sea.
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi called for dialogue over the oil and gas issue between the two nations, whose huge economies are both heavily dependent on energy imports.
"China and Japan have different stances but we need to continue dialogue and by taking a broad view and not fanning confrontation, we will make the area a sea of cooperation," he said.
But, in remarks in a weekly newsletter, Koizumi said China must "clearly recognize" its duty to protect Japanese residents.
"The Chinese side has responsibility for ensuring the safety of Japanese nationals who are in China," Koizumi said.
Large parts of the row have been played out over the Internet, with Japan's police and defense agencies saying they had been barraged by irrelevant data after a reported call by a Chinese Web site to jam Japanese servers.
In popular Chinese instant messaging forums, netizens are spreading the word about the times and locations of planned demonstrations in major cities including Beijing, the southern city of Guangzhou, Shenyang in the northeast and Chengdu in the southwest.
The Beijing protest was called for the political heart of the city -- Tiananmen Square, where China crushed a pro-democracy uprising in 1989.
Analysts have said that while Beijing may find protests useful in putting pressure on Japan, it fears nationalistic furor could spill over into domestic issues, such as widespread discontent over corruption.
also see story:
China's history books also leave out some key events
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats