The Bush administration renewed its request Tuesday that European allies maintain an arms embargo on weapons sales to China. While divided European leaders took no immediate action, a top French diplomat signaled there would be no retreat.
"What we had in mind was to do it at the end of June, and so far nothing has been changed," French Ambassador Jean-David Levitte said after a speech at Yale University.
In the speech, the ambassador said France remained committed to lifting the ban on weapons sales to China.
"It makes sense to lift an embargo which is obviously outdated," Levitte said.
The diplomat said he hoped the issue would not divide the US and Europe as the war in Iraq did two years ago.
As the 25-nation EU marked time in Brussels, Belgium, French President Jacques Chirac declined to give ground in a public dispute with the Bush administration.
Chirac told the Japanese daily Asahi Shimbun that ``what the Europeans want to is to normalize their relations with China.''
Casting any decision to lift the 16-year embargo in symbolic terms, the French president said "the Europeans have no intention of engaging in an armaments exportation policy toward China."
Sale of lethal weapons already has been ruled out, and only such items as helicopters might be sold, said European diplomatic sources in Washington on condition of anonymity.
The tug-of-war between the US and the Europeans led by France and Germany has run counter to a basic improvement in transatlantic relations.
For months, the administration has insisted that European weapons could be turned against Taiwan if China attempted to use force against the democratic country.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao (
US Department of State deputy spokesman Adam Ereli, applying a bit of pressure, said "we do not think the time is right for lifting the arms embargo against China."
also see story:
Lifting weapons ban on China could spark Asian arms race
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats