Declaring that it would continue the pursuit of the "truth" behind last year's assassination attempt on the president and vice president, the pan-blue camp yesterday rallied supporters in a return to Ketagalan Boulevard yesterday on the anniversary of the incident it claims decided the presidential election.
Speaking at the "319 Democracy, Peace and Truth" rally yesterday, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) heavyweights called for the establishment of a new committee in the legislature to investigate the matter.
Speaking on China's "Anti-Secession" Law, KMT Chairman Lien Chan (連戰) blamed the Taiwanese government's "independence activities" for the tensions across the Taiwan Strait, saying that peace was the common wish of the Taiwanese people.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
"It has already been a year. We are here today, not for any one person or party, but to take responsibility for our nation's history on behalf of the people. Political parties, including the KMT and the People First Party (PFP) can, in an unfair and unjust election, lose once. We can be lied to and deceived; this is something we cannot change. But the people and our society cannot afford to lose. We must seek justice for the sake of our nation's history," Lien told supporters.
Thousands of pan-blue supporters, backed by gangsters from Mainlander organized-crime groups, staged demonstrations that lasted for weeks in front of the Presidential Office. They were protesting what they claimed to be the suspicious circumstances surrounding the March 19 shooting of President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) as well as the subsequent narrow pan-green election victory.
Yesterday, the pan-blue camp criticized the Chen administration for "blocking" its efforts to discover the "truth" behind the assassination attempt.
A committee set up by the legislature last year to investigate the shooting faced many difficulties because the administration refused to cooperate with it, Lien said.
"How is it possible that public servants have the right to deny the requests of an organization created for the people?" Lien asked.
Thus, he said, legislation should be passed establishing a second committee.
Lien said the administration and its pro-independence actions had prompted the Anti-Secession Law. However, he said, the Taiwanese people do not want to declare independence and China should understand that certain political figures do not represent the majority.
"Since China has said it hopes to end the standoff across the Strait, we must acknowledge that if we do not declare independence, China will not take military action," he said.
After finishing his remarks, Lien wiped tears from his eyes.
Also at yesterday's rally, Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (
"The Legislative Yuan will do its best to find out the truth about the shooting through passing a statute so that the committee may be re-established according to the law," Wang said.
Wang attributed the dissolution of the committee to obstacles such as the Constitutional Court finding an article in its statute unconstitutional, as well as the government's refusal to assist the investigation.
"The committee did not last because of a lack of manpower, resources and finances," Wang said.
Ma, who took the stage immediately after Wang, also called for a second investigative committee.
He said Taipei City Government was the only government body that had provided assistance to the committee during its deliberations.
"Every level of government refused to help the committee, with the exception of the Taipei City Government. The reason why we lent a hand was because we wanted to find out the truth," Ma said.
One incident leads to another, Ma said. If the shooting had not happened, cross-strait ties would not have deteriorated and China would not have passed the law.
The march began at Sungshan Tobacco Factory at 2:30pm. Sporting national flags, black balloons and headbands saying "Democracy, peace and truth," the marchers walked along Zhongxiao East Road and Renai Road before arriving at the evening rally.
Also see stories:
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats