Police announced yesterday that a Tainan-based ecstasy dealer was the maker of the two homemade bullets used in the shooting of President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) and Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) on March 19.
Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) Commissioner Hou You-yi (侯友宜) identified the suspect as Tang Shou-yi (唐守義) during a press conference called by the Supreme Prosecutors' Office.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
"It is him. We are very sure about that," Hou said. "The evidence says it all."
The discovery of the bulletmaker is the biggest breakthrough yet in the assassination probe.
Hou said Tang first came to investigators' attention on Aug. 15, when he was arrested by Kaohsiung police during an illegal arms sale.
On Oct. 12, Tainan Prosecutor Wang San-jung (王森榮) led a team of police officers on a raid of Tang's residence, where he reportedly produced illegal weapons.
During the raid investigators discovered a blueprint of a homemade bullet. They said the drawing exactly matched the two bullets from the shooting.
Wang's request that Tang be detained was immediately granted by judges. He remains in custody.
Hou said the unusual structure of the homemade bullets that Tang sold matched those used during the assassination attempt, including the distinctive tool and machine marks.
The CIB displayed two pictures at the press conference: a close-up shot of the two bullets and a photo of the blueprint.
"We wanted to avoid any possibility that the suspect might destroy evidence. That is why we held back the photos until today," Hou said.
Investigators discovered that another maker of homemade bullets and guns, Chang Hsin-chieh (張新潔), had worked with Tang in the past. Chang died of a drug overdose on June 27 last year.
Officials said to make their bullets, Tang and Chang would buy copper or lead weights used by fishermen at tackle shops and melt the weights to fill the molds they had made.
To avoid attracting attention, the molds did not resemble bullets. The molded pieces were then cut and shaped into bullets.
The gunpowder used in the bullets came from toy caps sold at toy and stationary stores.
Officials said that to make guns, Tang and Chang would buy toy pistols and then refine or replace the bores and barrels.
The CIB's investigation showed that Tang and Chang had produced more than 40 pistols and 1,000 bullets since January last year.
Hou said Tang had been careful to try to cover his tracks.
"He stopped producing the kind of bullets used during the shooting but otherwise his business was not interrupted by the case," Hou said.
"The most difficult part now is to find out who bought the bullets from them. They had a lot of clients so it will take time for us to search for them," Hou said.
CIB officers are still screening Tang's cellphone records going back to January last year in the hopes of identifying the March 19 shooter.
"We are closingr in on the end of our investigation since we started from zero," Hou said. "As usual, we are quite confident that we will close the case soon."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats