Iran has suspended uranium enrichment and all related activities, state-run radio reported yesterday, honoring an agreement with Europe designed to head off possible UN sanctions.
"To build confidence and in line with implementing the Paris Agreement, Iran suspended uranium enrichment [and related activities] as of today," said the brief radio announcement.
In Vienna, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog agency, said the suspension was confirmed.
"I think pretty much everything has come to a halt," Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), told reporters.
ElBaradei said he expected to have a definitive ruling by Thursday on whether Iran has honored its pledge made earlier this month and frozen the activities, which can be used to make nuclear weapons.
After negotiations with Britain, France and Germany, Iran agreed to suspend uranium enrichment and related activities to dispel suspicions it is trying to build nuclear arms. In turn, EU nations have agreed not to have Iran hauled before the UN Security Council for allegedly contravening the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
Iran portrays the agreement as European support for what it sees as its right to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.
The US accuses Iran of secretly pursuing nuclear weapons and has pushed the international community to take a hard line. US Secretary of State Colin Powell said last week that Washington has intelligence indicating Iran is trying to fit missiles to carry nuclear weapons.
Britain, France and Germany have spearheaded efforts to find a diplomatic solution. They plan fresh negotiations with Iran early next month to reach a long term agreement.
ElBaradei confirmed Iran had produced several tonnes of uranium hexafluoride (UF6), the form of uranium used in the enrichment process. Enrichment is a process of purifying uranium for use as fuel in atomic power plants or weapons.
He said Iran had produced around two tonnes of UF6 which would not have been enough for a weapon. Iran had previously denied the reports that it had produced UF6.
IAEA inspectors currently in Iran are expected to verify that Iran has halted all such activities and to seal the facilities where they are carried out.
Iran agreed to suspend uranium enrichment as part of a deal similar to one it made with Britain, Germany and France in October last year.
But that deal subsequently unraveled and Iran resumed building and assembly key nuclear parts.
That behavior, coupled with the fact that the IAEA still has several outstanding questions about an atomic program which Iran kept secret for nearly two decades, means many diplomats fear Iran will find a reason to resume uranium enrichment again in the future.
"We don't know yet whether they have taken a decision to stop pursuing nuclear weapons but their past behaviour is not very encouraging," said a Western diplomat in Tehran.
In an interview with the BBC on Monday ElBaradei said Iran's promise to suspend enrichment was a positive step.
"They need to build confidence and the suspension of uranium enrichment is a good step in the right direction."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats