The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) welcomed yesterday a US court's decision to turn down fugitive Chen Yu-hao's (陳由豪) lawsuit against the country's representative office in Los Angeles, based on the US Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
The US District Court of the Central District of California rejected the former Tuntex Group chairman's accusation against the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Los Angeles (TECO-Los Angeles) on Monday.
Maxwell Lin (
The US Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act grants foreign states immunity from jurisdiction except under listed exceptions.
According to ministry spokesman Michel Lu (
The court, said Lin, therefore decided TECO-Los Angeles does not fall under US jurisdiction because it is Taiwan's representative office in the US.
"TECO-Los Angeles won a just ruling," he said.
Lu said that the ruling also mentioned the Taiwan Relations Act as the US government's commitment to maintain formal relations with Taiwan and to continue bilateral trade and cultural exchanges.
The tycoon-turned-fugitive Chen filed a lawsuit against TECO-Los Angeles shortly before Taiwan's presidential election in March, Lin said.
Chen, who claimed he presented a NT$3 million donation to President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) wife Wu Shu-chen (吳淑珍), filed the lawsuit against TECO-Los Angeles as it represents the Taiwanese government in the US.
In his lawsuit, Chen Yu-hao accused the Taiwanese government of political oppression and demanded that the US court order the Taiwanese government to remove him from its fugitive list.
According to US law, Chen Yu-hao will not be able to file the lawsuit against TECO-Los Angeles based on the same facts, Lin said.
Minister of Justice Chen Ding-nan (
"In fact, the US has already recognized our independence of jurisdiction since we have signed a judicial agreement with the US Department of Justice two years ago. And the recognition of the independence of jurisdiction equals the recognition of the independence of the government," Chen Ding-nan said during a press conference at the ministry yesterday.
The agreement mentioned by Chen Ding-nan is the "Agreement on Criminal Justice Cooperation."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats