A car bomb exploded yesterday near the Ministry of Education in a busy commercial area in northern Baghdad, killing at least eight people, according to the Interior Ministry and hospital officials.
The blast in the mainly Sunni Adhamiya district badly damaged the Education Ministry building and destroyed 31 cars. The body of an elderly man lay on the ground on fire after the explosion, which scattered body parts across the street.
The bomb exploded in a side-street near a ministry building wall at about 9:30am, gouging a big crater in the tarmac. Water from burst pipes flooded the street.
Interior Ministry spokesman Colonel Adnan Abdul-Rahman said the blast was caused by a car bomb.
Hospital officials said a woman was among the dead and a child was among the wounded.
Among the casualties was Abbas Kadhim, 32, who was hit in the stomach by fragments of concrete as he sat in his car.
He wept after being treated at the nearby Noman hospital.
"I'm not crying because I'm wounded, but because of my brother. I was with him and I don't know what happened to him," he said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Insurgents also captured a US soldier in the city of Samarra, north of Baghdad, an Iraqi police spokesman said yesterday.
Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Ahmed told reporters the soldier had been seized on Monday night by gunmen in two Opel cars. He said US troops were out in force in the streets of the Sunni Muslim city yesterday.
A US military spokesman said he had no information on the incident. Ahmed said the Americans had alerted Iraqi security forces and asked them to look out for the missing soldier.
In other developments, saboteurs also mounted the biggest attacks yet on Iraq's oil infrastructure, blowing up three pipelines in the north on Monday night and halting exports via Turkey, oil officials said.
A roadside bomb exploded near a convoy of Iraqi National Guard vehicles near Abu Ghraib, in Baghdad's western outskirts, wounding two guardsmen, an Interior Ministry spokesman said.
The US military said an air strike on Monday night had destroyed an arms cache in a southeastern part of Falluja. Hospital officials said five people were wounded in the raid.
US Marines are poised for a new offensive against Falluja and its sister city of Ramadi, where hospital staff said 10 people were killed and nine wounded in clashes on Monday.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats