At least 28 people were killed and scores injured when car bombs exploded at resorts packed with Israeli holidaymakers on the Red Sea coast of Egypt's Sinai desert in attacks Israel blamed yesterday on al-Qaeda.
The most powerful of the explosions late Thursday left a trail of carnage and destruction at the 10-story Hilton hotel in Taba, a town just across the Israeli border, that hosted Israeli-Palestinian peace talks in 2001.
"According to our first information, it appears to be an international terror attack with the hallmarks of al-Qaeda," said Israel's deputy defense minister, Zeev Boim.
The explosions followed official warnings that Israelis should keep out of the Sinai because of possible attacks.
They occurred as Israelis were celebrating the end of the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, which commemorates the years that the Jews spent in the Sinai desert on their way to the "Promised Land," and celebrates the way in which God protected them.
Estimates of the number of dead varied through the night as rescuers combed the rubble of the hotel searching for survivors and bodies after the attacks, one of the deadliest on Egyptian soil.
An Israeli army general at the site said yesterday that 23 Israelis and five Egyptians were killed, stressing it was a provisional toll.
"For the moment, 28 bodies have been recovered, including those of 23 Israelis and five Egyptians," General Yair Naveh told Israeli public radio.
"We think there are more dead under the rubble, but work to clear the rubble will take time, no doubt several days," the general said, adding that around 20 people were hospitalized in Israel.
Shamun Romash, the Israeli rescue operations chief at the hotel, added: "There is minimal hope of finding survivors because the explosion was very powerful."
According to Israeli officials, the Hilton attack was carried out by a suicide bomber in a car carrying 200kg of explosives. A second suicide bomber blew himself up by the hotel's pool.
Israeli public radio reported that two car engines were recovered from the site, supposing that two cars were used in the attack. The Egyptian news agency MENA said one of them was a green Ford.
Two people were also killed in attacks in a restaurant in the backpacker resort of Ras Sultan, near Nuweiba further south.
The attack was carried out by a suicide bomber who blew himself up in a parking lot close to a restaurant. A second suicide bomber who tried to enter the same restaurant detonated himself prematurely, killing only himself, an Israeli official told reporters.
Israel's ambassador to Egypt, Eli Shaked, said he had been informed that most of the casualties there were Egyptians, while Moscow said one Russian was killed and eight injured.
London said two Britons were among the wounded in the Sinai blasts.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats