British Prime Minister Tony Blair struck a defiant tone as his Labour Party prepared to open its annual conference yesterday, despite a pair of fresh opinion polls suggesting that support among voters is waning.
With a general election likely in May or June next year, Blair told the Observer that Labour -- in power for the past seven years -- would "not buckle" in the face of dissent.
"It happens with all governments. There is disillusion and disappointment. That's politics," he said. "What you've got to do in those circumstances is not buckle under it, but go out and make your case."
In the next four days, Labour delegates will polish their party platform in hopes of winning a third straight term in power.
But many remain unhappy with Blair for taking Britain into the Iraq war alongside the US, and with his determination to inject free-market principles into health and education.
The Labour Party conference in Brighton will also be overshadowed by the ordeal of Kenneth Bigley, the engineer from Liverpool abducted 10 days ago by Islamic extremists.
Bigley's brother, Paul Bigley, who has been critical of the low-key way in which the government has dealt with the abduction, was due to address an anti-war meeting in Brighton yesterday via a video link.
Two polls in different newspapers pointed to waning public support for Labour.
One of the polls, for News of the World, put the Labour Party at 28 percent -- in third place behind the main opposition Conservatives with 32 percent and the Liberal Democrats with 29 percent.
The other poll, for the Independent, was more consistent with previous surveys, putting Labour still in the lead, but only with 32 percent -- against 30 percent for the Tories and 27 percent for the Liberal Democrats.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats