The UK yesterday made it clear that it would not deal with Islamic extremists in Iraq holding engineer Kenneth Bigley, despite a dramatic appeal from the hostage begging Prime Minister Tony Blair to intervene and save his life.
Bigley's Thai wife, Sombat Bigley, added her voice yesterday to his family's desperate appeals to the Tawhid and Jihad (Unity and Holy War) group to spare the life of the 62-year-old engineer from Liverpool.
Bigley was snatched from his Baghdad home one week ago, along with two US colleagues who have since been executed. His captors have been demanding the release of women detained in US-run Iraqi prisons.
"My name is Sombat Bigley. I am Ken Bigley's wife. We have been married for seven years and I love him very much," Sombat Bigley said in an emotional appeal, made in her native Thai language and videotaped in Bangkok.
"I plead for your mercy now and beg that you release Ken so that I may be with him again and so that he may also be reunited with his family in England," she said, visibly shaken.
But in London, a spokesman for Blair -- who had been hoping that Iraq would fade from the headlines as he prepares for a looming general election -- said there was no change to Downing Street's uncompromising line.
"We're following the situation very closely, and our feelings are very much with Ken Bigley and his family," the spokesman told reporters.
"The government is doing all it can to secure his release, [but] we have no intention of negotiating with terrorists," the spokesman said.
Bigley appeared in a fuzzy video seen yesterday on the Internet, in which he appealed to Blair: "I need you to be compassionate as you always said you were and to help me to live..."
"I don't want to die ... Please, please release the female prisoners ... I need your help, Mr Blair. You are now the only person on God's earth that I can speak to," he said.
There was no word from Blair himself, while his wife, Cherie Blair, attending a senior citizens' event, only said: "Like everyone in Britain, my heart goes out to the Bigley family."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats