The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday announced it would terminate a contract with a financial trust company handling its party assets, in a move that would allow the party to resume its grip on assets estimated at NT$33 billion.
Fearing that the KMT will take the opportunity to sell assets it improperly acquired during its 50-year reign, Cabinet officials yesterday unleashed a fresh round of rebukes, and threatened to revoke the operating licenses of China Television Company (CTV) and Broadcasting Corporation of China (BCC) on Friday, if the companies are found to have violated related laws.
KMT Spokesperson Alex Tsai (
"While we don't rule out any possibilities for disposing of our party assets, we thought it might be a good idea to adopt the Hua Hsia model to do so," he said.
Hua Hsia Investment Holding Co (
Through the party-run Hua Hsia, the KMT owns a 65 percent stake in CTV, a 96.95 percent stake in BCC and a 10 percent stake in Taiwan Television (TTV).
On Monday, Hua Hsia replaced two board members with people from Sycamore Ventures, part of US-based Citibank Venture Capital, a subsidiary of Citicorp.
The Broadcasting and Television Law (
The Government Information Office (GIO) has threatened to withhold the renewal of the operating licenses to CTV and BCC on Friday if the companies are found to have violated the laws.
About three years ago, the KMT's party assets were estimated at over NT$73 billion. The figure dwindled to nearly NT$30 billion due to the financial losses of Hua Hsia. Frustrated by its financial embarrassment, Hua-Hsia has been desperately trying to raise funds by borrowing money or selling its stakes in sub-companies.
Party authorities are hoping to get NT$8 billion (US$235 million) by selling the shares in CTV, BCC, the Central Motion Picture Corp, the Central Daily News and China Daily News in a single block offering before next year.
The party is required by the Broadcasting and Television Law to sell its stakes in media outlets by Dec. 26 because political parties and the government are no longer allowed to own, fund or assume key positions in media outlets.
Calling the KMT "a liar," Cabinet Spokesman Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) yesterday questioned the KMT's desperate efforts to get rid of party assets in exchange for money.
"Why they're trying to get rid of their party assets is unfathomable to me," Chen said. "What they should've done instead is to keep their promise and return the assets they promised to state coffers."
KMT officials pledged last year that it would relinquish nine of its properties to the original owners. Those properties are seven movie theaters, the Shih Chien building and the Shih Chien Hall.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats