At least seven people are feared dead in floods and a landslide triggered by Typhoon Haima that is dumping torrential rain across northern Taiwan, officials said yesterday.
Rock and earth loosened by five days of downpours swept away three houses and buried a family of four, including a 12-year-old boy, in mountainous Hsinchu County, the same region that had been devastated by Typhoon Aere last month.
PHOTO: TSAI MENG-SHANG, TAIPEI TIMES
"We've already found three bodies, including an elderly couple and their son. We are still looking for the fourth person, who is missing," a spokesman for the Hsinchu fire department said.
In the town of Ruifang in Taipei County, two people were washed away by floods and were feared dead, said an official at the government's disaster recovery center.
An elderly man was also found drowned in a flooded pedestrian underpass in Taoyuan County.
A senior engineer with the Taipei City Department of Rapid Transit Systems was hospitalized because of a critical myocardial infarction after joining emergency work overnight on an MRT construction site in Neihu, one of the areas hardest hit by flooding. The engineer remained in a coma as of yesterday noon.
The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) issued sea and land warnings for Typhoon Haima early yesterday morning as the typhoon was centered on Taiwan's northeastern corner.
Haima, the 20th typhoon reported in the Pacific area this year, developed from a southwest air current lurking near Taiwan over the past two days, marking a rare meteorological phenomenon.
The typhoon was centered about 70km east of Taipei at 11:30am, moving in a north-northwesterly direction at a speed of 14kph, CWB forecasters said.
Haima, with a radius of 100km, is expected to be centered around 380km north of Taipei by 11am today, the forecasters said.
Haima has brought torrential rains to the northern part of the island since Saturday, swelling rivers and flooding low-lying areas.
The weather bureau once again called for the public to be on high alert against mountain torrents, mudslides and storm surges in Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, Taipei and Ilan counties as well as Taipei City and Keelung City.
The bureau also warned fishing boats operating in waters north and northeast of Taiwan to be on alert against strong winds and high waves.
In anticipation of continuing downpours, the Executive Yuan activated its Central Disaster Prevention and Relief Center Saturday morning to coordinate operations.
Serious flooding, resulting from the inability of pumping stations and drainage systems to cope with the amount of rain, hit Taipei City, with 98 locations being inundated with water. Meanwhile a majority of neighborhoods in Hsichih, Sanchung and Hsinchuang cities in Taipei County were also hit hard by flooding.
Flooding was also reported in the southern harbor city of Kaohsiung, especially in the Nantse district, which was submerged in knee-deep water by mid-morning Saturday.
With the typhoon's pace expected to slow down slightly, the CWB warned that the entire island could be seriously affected by torrential rains over the next two days.
Meanwhile, Premier Yu Shyi-kun has made phone calls to Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Acting Taipei County Magistrate Lin Hsi-yao (林錫耀) to get reports on the damage in their jurisdictions, and promised to provide disaster relief, including sending military personnel and water pumps to affected areas.
Meanwhile, the number of rural townships facing a high risk of mudflows has increased to 46, in six cities and counties, the Council of Agriculture reported yesterday.
In anticipation of continuing downpours triggered by Typhoon Haima, the council's Soil and Water Conservation Bureau issued an emergency notice yesterday, calling for red alert in 46 rural townships located in Taipei, Keelung and the counties of Taipei, Taoyuan, Hsinchu and Miaoli against mountain torrents, landslides and mudflows.
As of noon yesterday, a total of 855 residents, mostly in mountainous areas, had been forced to evacuate their homes and head to temporary shelters set up by local governments, the Executive Yuan's Central Disaster Prevention and Relief Center reported.
Also as of noon yesterday, a total of 322 fishing boats had been granted permission to enter fishing ports around northern Taiwan to anchor, with a total of 3,100 fishermen and crew members taking shelter.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats