A purported al-Qaeda statement has singled out Italy as it threatened Europe with a "bloody war" following the expiry of a July 15 deadline set by Osama bin Laden for European states to pull troops out of Muslim countries.
"Today, we declare a bloody war on you. We will not stop our raids until you return to reason," said the statement posted yesterday on a militant Islamist Web site and signed "Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades -- al-Qaeda."
The authenticity of the statement, on the site www.islamic-minbar.com/forum/, could not be verified.
"After the expiry of the ultimatum by our sheikh Osama bin Laden ... and because you have not returned to reason, we declare a violent war on you as well as your people ... who, by their silence, support you," it said.
An audiotaped statement issued April 15 by the al-Qaeda terror chief gave European governments three months to withdraw their troops from Muslim states.
The ultimatum was later authenticated by the US Central Intelligence Agency.
The Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades have claimed responsibility for the March 11 train bombings in Madrid, which left 191 people dead, as well as for the November bombings in Istanbul that killed 25 people.
Abu Hafs al-Masri headed al-Qaeda military operations until he was killed in the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.
The latest statement particularly targeted "the Italian government and its head Berlusconi, the vile, for their shameful and despicable attitude and for following the chief of infidels, America."
"Wait for us Berlusconi, with your other allies and supporters. Wait for the threat which we addressed to you [earlier] and that we address to Europe today," it warned.
"We will make sure that a bloodbath sweeps you away. It is you that will punish your people. And infidel Europe will, by its following of America, punish its people.
"We will strike the towns of Europe and we will start with you, Berlusconi," the message claimed, warning European leaders that war "will be bloody until you return to reason."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary