Saudi security forces killed two militants in a fierce exchange of fire in Riyadh and detained the family of the suspected leader of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network in Saudi Arabia, officials said yesterday.
An Interior Ministry statement said three other militants were hurt in the clash in the capital on Tuesday night. It did not say whether Saleh al-Awfi, believed to be al-Qaeda's leader in Saudi Arabia, was among those killed or wounded.
Three policemen were also wounded in the latest fighting between government forces and al-Qaeda backers bent on toppling the pro-US leaders of the world's biggest oil exporter.
The ministry statement said the fighting broke out in north Riyadh's busy King Fahd district, where security forces were investigating a site used by supporters of "the deviant and corrupt ideology" -- a reference to al-Qaeda sympathizers.
They came under intense fire from gunmen armed with bombs and rocket-propelled grenades, said the ministry statement, which was published by the official Saudi Press Agency.
Security forces returned fire at the gunmen, "killing two of them and wounding three, who were arrested, as well as detaining the family of the wanted man Saleh al-Awfi, made up of his wife and three children," the statement said.
During the fighting a second group of armed men opened fire on security forces before escaping, the agency said. Police found weapons, explosives and documents at the site, it added.
Some 90 policemen and civilians, many of them foreigners, have been killed in more than a year of shootings and suicide bombings claimed by al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia.
Awfi is believed to have taken over leadership of al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia after the killing last month of Abdulaziz al-Muqrin, who was shot dead just hours after his group announced they had killed a US hostage. Muqrin himself only took over operations after the killing in March of another leader, Khaled Ali Haj.
In those three months, suicide bombers blew up a Riyadh security headquarters, gunmen shot dead five Westerners in the Red Sea port of Yanbu and went on a killing spree in the Gulf city of Khobar, and militants killed three Americans in Riyadh.
On June 23 the government declared a one-month amnesty for militants who turn themselves in. Al-Qaeda has rejected the offer, which has almost expired.
Just four men have so far surrendered to authorities -- two in Saudi Arabia, one in Syria and a fourth, Khaled al-Harbi, in Iran. Harbi appeared with bin Laden in a videotape praising al-Qaeda's Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on US cities.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats