A Filipino held hostage in Iraq told his family in a videotaped message aired yesterday that he would be home soon, but the militants holding him said he would be freed only after Manila withdrew its troops from Iraq.
However, the Philippine military was still awaiting orders to leave, a day after Manila said it would pull its troops out of Iraq to save Angelo de la Cruz despite pressure from the US not to cave in to the demands.
A message recorded by the kidnappers appeared to extend a previous deadline beyond July 20 but said de la Cruz would not be handed over until all Philippine troops had left Iraq.
"The hostage will be released after the withdrawal of the last Filipino soldier from Iraq within a period that does not exceed the current month," the statement by the Islamic Army said.
Addressing his family, de la Cruz said: "Wait for me, I'm coming back to you," Arabic television channel al Jazeera said in its translation of his remarks.
De la Cruz appeared in good health and wore civilian clothes, unlike in previous tapes in which he wore an orange jumpsuit.
Al Jazeera quoted de la Cruz as sending a message of thanks to Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo for her decision to withdraw her forces.
Officials in Manila declined to comment.
"We will make the proper announcement if he is already in our custody," a presidential palace official said on condition of anonymity.
Militants who captured de la Cruz had threatened to kill him unless Manila withdrew its 43 soldiers and eight police by July 20, one month ahead of schedule.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Delia Albert said on Wednesday her ministry was working to meet the kidnappers' demands and that the contingent had already been reduced.
Air force spokesman Major Restituto Padilla said yesterday that no order to withdraw had yet been received and two planes on standby in Manila for an evacuation were now on other missions.
The kidnappers' demand has left Arroyo walking a tightrope between demands at home to save de la Cruz's life and the wish to please the US by remaining in Iraq. The US has expressed grave concern.
"In a crisis, an ally, a friend, helps a partner to be strong and that's what we are trying to do," US Ambassador Francis Ricciardone said after meeting Defense Secretary Eduardo Ermita yesterday.
"In a time of test where enemies demand you kneel ... I just ask you please, don't confuse your enemies or your friends," he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary