A suspected suicide car bombing killed 10 people and wounded 40 yesterday in the first big terror attack in Baghdad since an interim Iraqi government took over from US-led occupiers on June 28.
"This is naked aggression against the Iraqi people," said Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, standing by burnt-out vehicles near a main entrance to the heavily defended "Green Zone" compound.
"We will bring these criminals to justice," he vowed, adding that seven Iraqi civilians and three National Guardsmen had been killed and 40 people wounded.
Deafened passersby and a man with blood oozing from his chest staggered from the site of the explosion.
"My God, my God," screamed one panicked woman among the scores of workers, visitors and journalists lining up for security checks to get into the US-defended area.
The blast occurred hours after news that Islamist militants led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had killed one of two Bulgarian truck drivers held hostage in Iraq. They vowed to kill the second within 24 hours unless US-led forces freed prisoners.
Bulgaria said it would not pull its 470 troops out of Iraq despite the killing of the driver and the plight of the other.
In stark contrast, the Philippines was preparing to withdraw its troops early to save the life of a Filipino hostage, though the military said it had yet to receive clear orders to leave.
"He is safe and there is no more risk of him being executed," said a Foreign Ministry official in Manila, referring to kidnapped truck driver Angelo de la Cruz.
The Baghdad blast occurred in a crowded area where cars queue for access to the sprawling Green Zone beside the Tigris River. It houses government buildings, the US and British embassies, and the offices of many foreign contractors.
The entrance has long been recognized as a potential target for bombers, but despite elaborate fortifications, people forced to wait just outside the zone have remained vulnerable.
"At 9:15am this morning a vehicle pulled into the search lane and tried to get into the control point and detonated," a US officer said. "We're pretty sure it was a suicide bomber. The bomber never got out of the vehicle."
Allawi said he wanted to "assure the international community that we are going forward in building democracy, peace and stability in Iraq."
He said he believed the bomb attack was a response to a crackdown on criminals, referring to police raids that have netted hundreds of suspects in Baghdad this week.
The Green Zone is a favored target for rocket and mortar attacks. In May, a suicide bomber killed the then head of Iraq's now-defunct Governing Council as he entered the compound.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats