The Philippines yesterday rejected demands by Islamic militants threatening to execute a Filipino hostage in Iraq to pull out its small humanitarian contingent from the strife-torn country one month earlier than scheduled.
"In line with our commitment to the free people of Iraq, we reiterate our plan to return our humanitarian contingent as scheduled on Aug. 20, 2004," Foreign Secretary Delia Albert told reporters after an emergency Cabinet meeting.
The kidnappers holding Filipino trucker Angelo dela Cruz meanwhile extended their deadline by nine days, a senior diplomat said late last night.
"I am told that the deadline has been extended by nine days till July 20. This has given us hope that the hostage is alive and the kidnappers are realizing that he has nothing to do with them," the diplomat said.
The militants have warned that if the Philippines did not commit to withdrawing its 51-member contingent in Iraq by July 20, "the hostage will be executed," according to a statement they issued to the Arab television station al-Jazeera.
The Philippine government said it was continuing to work "both through formal and informal" channels to free dela Cruz, a 46-year-old father of eight.
"We continue to do everything we can in order to secure the release of Angelo dela Cruz," Albert said. "We are hopeful that with the continued support and prayers of the people, we will hurdle this crisis."
She said Labor Secretary Patricia Santo Tomas, who erroneously announced late Saturday that dela Cruz had been freed, was accompanying the hostage's wife and brother to Iraq "in order to be closer to the developments on the ground."
"We are extending our utmost support to the family during this very critical time," it added.
The government's decision came despite mounting pressure for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to recall the country's troops in Iraq in order to save dela Cruz. Labor activists warned the government would be committing an "unforgivable mistake" if it would not heed the militants' demand.
They also criticized Arroyo for lying about the fate of dela Cruz on Saturday, when the president reportedly called his wife to tell her that her husband had been freed.
"Government has deceived the family of dela Cruz and the Filipino people," said Connie Regalado, chairwoman of Migrante, an organization representing Filipino overseas workers, referring to the erroneous announcement of his release.
Jubilation had broken out in the hometown of dela Cruz in Pampanga province, 75km north of Manila, when news came in that he had already been released.
Relatives and friends yesterday resumed prayer vigils, while special masses were offered for dela Cruz.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats