Afghan President Hamid Karzai appealed yesterday for NATO to speed up a planned expansion of its peacekeeping force in his country to protect against terrorists, private armies and narcotics gangs before September's key elections.
"Please hurry," Karzai urged a NATO summit.
"Come sooner than September and provide the Afghan men and women with a chance to vote freely without fear, without coercion," he said.
On Monday, the alliance decided to expand its peacekeeping forces in Afghanistan from 6,500 to 10,000 over the election period, although officials clarified yesterday that about 1,300 of those troops will be held in reserve outside the country for emergency use.
The expanded NATO forces should allow the separate, 20,000-strong US-led force to intensify its focus on pursuing insurgents from the old Taliban regime and its al-Qaeda allies in the troubled south and east, but it has been criticized as insufficient.
Karzai thanked the 26 NATO leaders for expanding the force, then made a forceful plea for an accelerated deployment, reminding the summit of recent deadly attacks on officials carrying out voter registration and on registered voters.
"The Afghan people have trust in the security that you are going to provide for us, but the Afghan people need that security today and not tomorrow," he said.
"The reason we need this is that we have three challenges still in our country. First the challenge of terrorism, as you are all aware, second is the challenge of private militias ... third is the challenge of narcotics," he said.
tear gas
Outside the summit, police fired tear gas into a group of 1,000 anti-NATO protesters after some of the demonstrators threw rocks at officers.
About 23,000 police and soldiers guarded the summit, closing several streets around the summit site and leaders' hotels.
Monday's summit agreement on Afghanistan allows the alliance forces to set up permanent peacekeeping teams in four more northern cities besides the temporary increase for the elections.
But the agreement was described as inadequate by human-rights campaigners.
"It's a disgrace," said Jon Sifton, a researcher at Human Rights Watch. "NATO officials should be ashamed ... If these elections fail to occur, or occur but are not free and fair, Afghans can blame NATO."
He said Afghanistan had been neglected while Western leaders were focused on Iraq. NATO leaders on Monday agreed to help train the armed forces of Iraq after the US surprised allies by handing over sovereignty to the Iraqi government two days ahead of schedule.
Under current NATO plans, British troops supported by contingents from Norway, Romania, Denmark, Sweden and Finland will set up a regional hub in the city of Mazar-e-Sharif.
Germany will run a team in Faizabad, the Netherlands in Baghlan and more British and Nordic troops will be based in Maimana. Officials said the teams should be up and running under NATO command within the next few weeks.
Besides those permanent bases, NATO will temporarily increase its presence by about 1,500 troops for up to eight weeks around the elections, with another 1,300 in reserve. The alliance is also seeking to muster more troops to expand into a western sector centered on the city of Herat.
EXPLOSION
Police were investigating a small explosion that injured three cleaners on a plane on the ground at Istanbul airport.
The booby-trapped package exploded yesterday aboard a Turkish Airlines plane after passengers had disembarked, an airline spokeswoman said.
She said the fingers of the cleaner who opened the package were torn off, while two other cleaners suffered minor injuries.
The airplane had arrived in Istanbul from the western Turkish city of Izmir, she said.
Police said the blast was caused by 2g of plastic explosive hidden inside a wallet.
The airport appeared to be operating normally after the blast.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats