The release of eight British military servicemen held in Iran after they entered Iranian waters is likely to be delayed until today, Iran's Arabic-language Al-Alam satellite television said yesterday.
"Taking decisions on releasing the detained [British] troops is likely to be delayed to Thursday [today] as there is not enough time, because the delegation will arrive late tonight [last night] to the region," the channel said quoting one of its correspondents.
A delegation of British diplomats has already arrived in the area.
The report also said the three British boats and the equipment in them would stay in Iranian naval custody.
British diplomats landed in Khuzestan in southwest Iran for the handover yesterday and were headed to Bandar Mahshahr, a petrochemical center.
"We have just landed in Ahvaz," a diplomat said yesterday, speaking from the provincial capital of Khuzestan, the oil-rich province on the Iraqi border. They were arriving from the Iranian capital Tehran.
The Iranian press was yesterday unanimous in predicting that the arrest of the naval unit by the Islamic republic's hardline Revolutionary Guards would herald a new crisis in ties with London.
Some right-wing papers even said they saw the infringement of Iranian territorial waters on the border with Iraq as yet more evidence pointing to an international "conspiracy" against the 25-year-old clerical regime.
"Chill between Tehran and London," the reformist Ashti paper headlined, while the moderate Toseh daily declared a new "crisis" at a time when ties have already come under strain over Iran's suspected nuclear program.
The reformist Etemad newspaper claimed the "aggression" against Iran by the three boats and their eight crewmen was aimed at "pushing Iran to extremism," recalling the US response to Iranian attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.
The second objective, the paper claimed, was to "deprive Iran of any role and influence in Iraq, in particular during the handover of sovereignty to Iraqis on June 30."
"The British in another Persian Gulf conspiracy," trumpeted the hardline Jomhuri Islami paper, a daily that frequently points out what it calls the constant menace posed by the Americans, British and Israelis.
"The seizure of the three boats and the arrest of eight British soldiers has shed full light on the nasty objectives of the British and the other occupation forces in Iraq," it said.
"The British want us to believe that the three boats entered Iranian waters by mistake, but the arms and maps in their possession showed perfectly well that they were on a mission."
The paper also drew a clear link with Britain's co-sponsorship of a resolution passed by the International Atomic Energy Agency last Friday that strongly condemned Iran for failing to fully cooperate with UN nuclear inspectors.
"If we take into account the role the British had in drawing up this resolution ... it is clear that Britain wants to shift the crisis from Iraq to Iran," it reasoned.
The Shargh newspaper, however, took a more moderate line and said Iran and Britain could simply not afford a fresh crisis in relations.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats