South Korea said yesterday it will go ahead with its plan to send troops to Iraq despite the abduction of a South Korean man and the televised broadcast of his desperate pleas to stay alive.
The kidnapping tested South Korea's resolve just days after the US ally announced it will dispatch 3,000 troops to assist in reconstruction efforts in northern Iraq. Once the deployment is complete, South Korea will be the largest coalition partner after the US and Britain.
On Sunday, the Arab satellite TV network al Jazeera aired a videotape purportedly from al-Qaeda militants showing a South Korean hostage begging for his life and pleading with his government to withdraw troops from Iraq.
The kidnappers, who identified themselves as belonging to a group led by Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, gave South Korea 24 hours to meet its demand or "we will send you the head of this Korean."
In Seoul, hundreds of protesters attended a candlelight vigil last night to demand the release of Kim Sun-il and a reversal to the troop dispatch. Some held placards reading "Sending the troops kills, kills, kills."
The group that kidnapped Kim was holding as many as 10 foreigners, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said, citing Kim's employer in Iraq. The captives included a European journalist and "third country" employees for the US-based contractor Kellogg, Brown and Root who were abducted along with Kim, Yonhap said.
Kim Chun-ho, head of South Korea's Gana General Trading Co., said some of the abductees were seen by an Iraqi go-between who visited the kidnappers to try to negotiate the South Korean's release.
Officials of South Korea's National Security Council and the ministries of foreign affairs and defense hastily met after news broke of the abduction.
"There is no change in the government's spirit and position that it will send troops to Iraq to help establish peace and rebuild Iraq," Deputy Foreign Minister Choi Young-jin said at a news conference.
South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun said the incident was "deeply unfortunate and regrettable" and instructed his government to do all it could to win the release of the hostage, Roh's office said.
South Korea sent a six-member delegation to Jordan to assist in negotiations to win Kim's release. Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon discussed the matter in a telephone conversation with US Secretary of State Colin Powell, South Korean officials said.
Kim, 33, was abducted on June 17 while making a delivery in the city of Fallujah, Choi said.
DOCTORS STRIKE
Meanwhile, South Korean doctors posted in southern Iraq yesterday refused to treat Iraqi patients in protest at the death threat facing their compatriot.
The 35 doctors have for the past year been working out of a former air force base some 20km west of Nasiriyah.
Also See Stories:
Korea crisis envoys seek way forward
South Korean hostage pleads for his life on national TV
Ruling party asks US to avoid Iraq errors on North
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats