Forces loyal to Congo's leader crushed a coup attempt by renegades within his own presidential guard in fighting that sent gunfire and explosions echoing through the capital of Africa's third-largest nation.
The crisis on Friday was the second this month for the 14-month-old government led by President Joseph Kabila, established to close a 1998 to 2002 war that was Africa's deadliest ever.
Kabila, appearing on state TV in khaki uniform hours after the uprising's leaders were sent fleeing, told Congolese to brace for future challenges.
"Stay calm, prepare yourself to resist -- because I will allow nobody to try a coup d'etat or to throw off course our peace process," Kabila declared.
"As for me, I'm fine," added the 32-year-old president, whose appearance quashed rumors he had been injured or killed.
At stake was the stability of Congo, and with it central Africa. Congo's five-year war had drawn in the armies of five foreign African countries, splitting a nation that before the war was one of the world's largest mineral producers, including the No. 3 exporter of rough diamonds and holder of 80 percent of the globe's cobalt reserves.
Relief workers say the war killed 3.3 million people.
By late afternoon, the officer behind Friday's attempted coup was on the run south of the capital with 21 of his men, pursued by loyalist troops backed by helicopter, presidential spokesman Kadura Kasonga said.
The officer, Major Eric Lenge, had been a trusted aide frequently photographed behind Kabila at official functions, including Kabila's 2001 inauguration -- which followed the assassination of Kabila's father by his own presidential bodyguards.
Lenge launched the coup attempt by commandeering state broadcast centers after midnight. He announced he was "neutralizing" the transition government.
Condemning Kabila's government as ineffective, Lenge appealed to members of Congo's armed forces to stay in their barracks and accede to the takeover.
Loyalist forces routed Lenge and his fighters from the broadcast headquarters, sending the mutin-eers retreating to a presidential guard base in the capital.
Information Minister Vitale Kamerhe then appeared on state airwaves before dawn to declare "the situation entirely under control," without a shot fired.
Some of Lenge's forces later appeared in the heart of the capital, on foot and in two tanks and an armored personnel carrier crowded with troops, diplomats said -- allegedly trying unsuccessfully to surrender to either the US or British embassies or Congo's UN mission.
Congo government and military leaders described Lenge and his followers breaking out of the base and fleeing, first to Kinshasa's international airport and then to the south of the city, toward the Bas Congo region.
Security forces had arrested 12 of the fleeing men, Kabila said on state TV.
It was unclear how many troops took part in the failed coup. Accounts by officials ranged from 20 to the low hundreds.
Diplomats said the dissident forces expressed grievances about pay, in partial or full arrears by the government for months.
The coup attempt was the second military uprising against the postwar government after a previous five years of peace in the capital.
In March, hundreds of troops attacked military installations in a capital uprising also linked by some accounts to grievances over pay.
Loyalist forces crushed that uprising as well.
Friday's coup attempt came two days after government forces to the east retook a town on Rwanda's border from renegade ex-rebel fighters.
Capture of Bukavu after the seven-day takeover had ended the greatest military crisis for the postwar government.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary